NOVEMBER BUGLE

MrEarl

The November issue of the Bugle has been posted on the BCA website. BCA members may access it here > The Buick Bugle.

I have been informed that from this point forward the eBugle will be posted on the 1st day of the month...always. Can't access it??? Could it be that you are not a BCA member. Well then, what better reason and time to join.

I see Pete and Cindy have been at it again...continuing to improve the look and format of the general layout of the magazine and using the wonderful world of color to enhance and make more pleasurable the reading of this great magazine.

And speaking of COLOR check out pg 10!!! Thank you JohnD!!!! Also love the double page "centerfold" layouts of pgs 23 thru 27.

Please use this thread for discussing and expanding on the articles and stories in this month's issue.

Clicking your link http://www.buickclub.org/ebugle.html then clicking the link in that page results in a dead page for me : http://www.buickclub.org/ebugles/

If you arrived on this page it is probably because you have a bookmark to an old or expired page. Use the navigation above to find the page you seek

I think we need Peter G

• 2 weeks later...

We have received a lot of positive feedback about the November issue in the form of emails and phone calls, but there hasn't been much feedback on the forum. I know the forum draws from a small sampling, but it also focuses on devoted Buick fans, so I pose a serious question that might effect what we do in the future: There was a 4-page fold-out in the October issue showing a variety of photos from the National Meet and we did a second fold-out in the November issue celebrating the 100th anniversary of the 1914 Buick showing vintage sales posters. Do you enjoy the fold-out centerfolds? Are they worth extra bucks to occasionally add them to the magazine? Thanks for the feedback, Cindy

Cindy,

I enjoy the foldouts. Actually, I enjoy the whole magazine. A surprise foldout now and again would be a great addition as long as the cost doesn't go too hoopie.

In the words of my wife Rita "Oh WOW, COOL!!! Me, I've always liked "centerfolds". Use to hang them on my walls and in my Marine Corp locker. I suspect a few of this months Bugle centerfold will end up in frames and on walls. I am sure there is a lot of behind the scenes work involved in creating these and having them come out as nice and attention getting as these. Great work Cindy and Terry W.

As you refer to Cindy, and Ship says " A surprise foldout now and again would be a great addition as long as the cost doesn't go too hoopie" I too think maybe they should only be done occasionally and for "special" articles or occasions.

And as always, "enjoyed" the eBugle but "LOVED" the hard copy. Over all I am really liking the use of so much color in the most recent issues. I also noticed and liked the new order of the Classified ads, with Cars For Sale up front.

And thanks to Brian for sharing his "A Message From the President" page with the different board members. I think the board members should be more visible and share their thoughts and opinions in the Bugle (as well as maybe here on the Forum)

As the person who pays the bills, the "cost doesn't go too hoopie.". The magazine is a main reason most of you belong and if it can be made better with full color, more pages and a centerfold now and then, so be it.

Thank Pete and Cindy for coming up with the ideas and following through with them. Thats the hard part.

We just got our November issue, and I wanted to say THANKS to Mr. Earl for the honorable mention on page 10. I also want to respond in part to Cindy's observation that there has not been much feedback here on the Forum.

A few years ago every issue was met with justified kudos and gratis to the Editor. Most of us did not know too much about Cindy's part in developing the individual issues so that's probably the reason little was ever said in thanks for her part. But from a few years ago to now, this hobby seems to have changed quite a bit, and along with it the participation on this forum.

What I am referring to is the stratification ( if you will) and specialization of the membership. There used to be a time when folks joined this forum regardless of the year or model of their Buick. But now things have been sliced and diced and it seems that many members have moved on to similar forums regarding their specific year and or model car. Even though I am technically retired, I do not find it fun to go to 7 or more forums per day and try to keep up with this. I guess that is my loss. I don't expect folks to come back here. But I do miss their interaction.

Even in this Forum there is significant specialization and I do not even follow most of what happens on the various categories. And therefore it is little surprise that we have not seen a lot of chatter here regarding the e Bugle. And I can only hope that lack of chatter here is never taken as evidence that the e bugle is undesirable, or that the current layouts and efforts are not appreciated. I just think a lot of people have fallen off this forum, for whatever reason, and who knows if they will ever come back?

As to the Centerfolds, I am totally in favor. I think Novembers was particularly clever. Even my wife, who reads every issue by the way, was impressed. But I also do not think it has to be a part of every issue. Some issues may not lend themselves to such endeavor. What I really enjoy are Petes articles about the indepth coverage of the featured year, or model Buick. I love all these cars, and have seen a wide variety at the various National Meets I attended. But I cannot tell you how many times I look at the articles and then realize I never saw the little things Pete always finds and includes in the articles.

So once again I would just like to say Great job Cindy and Pete, and thank you for something to look forward to each month!

JohnD, I think that there is a tremendous amount of truth in what you just said here. But, let's take this one step further - what percentage of the total BCA membership actually visits the ongoing forums? I'm willing to bet that it is a very small fraction of a percent. This narrows any views that one can get from the members. And about the eBugle. It's nice but who would want to settle for it as opposed to the printed issue that hit my mailbox last week. WOWSERS!!! I thought I knew a little bit about what was coming. I got the daylights surprised out of me! That sly dog Lamar sure never told me anything about what he was up to with the shot of the '22 being in there. Pete and Cindy are at the top of their game with this publication. I don't think every issue has to have a foldout, but, when something special comes along, why the heck not do it. There are guys out there that just love what you two are doing - just don't stop doing it.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I know this group is a very small fraction of BCA membership, but many of you are active members and know a lot about Buicks, so I value your feedback. I wasn’t looking for kudos or compliments, though I appreciate them, of course. I was more interested in the specific question about special things done in the Bugle, like the occasional fold-out. I wanted to know if the forum members enjoy them or if they consider them unnecessary “frills”. There will never be more than a few issues a year (and sometimes none) with a special centerfold because there has to be a really good reason to go to the extra expense and trouble involved in producing a fold-out. As Bill Stoneberg wrote, the BCA won’t allow the cost to go too “hoopie” (my new favorite expression!), so just think of a fold-out as something special and unusual – a little “langniappe” for Bugle readers.

Terry’s large 1914 posters are a good example. Terry contacted Pete and me many months ago about his posters. Due to their large size they had to be professionally scanned. Pete and I held off using them until the November Bugle issue because we wanted to match the artwork (autumn leaves, etc.) to the correct season of the year. Having access to the high-quality professional scans gave us the option to present the posters in the extra large format of a fold-out centerfold, where the artwork can be best appreciated and is close to the original size.

I love vintage car advertising that uses colorful original artwork. You’ll notice that after the mid-1960s, original artwork in advertising pretty much stopped when less expensive photography became the dominant advertising tool. Buick ads that feature original artwork (and are still in good condition) are becoming hard to find. Terry’s 1914 posters and Lamar Brown’s 1954 calendar illustration on the cover of the June Bugle are two great examples of wonderful original artwork used in advertising. I’d love to show more of it in the Bugle, so if any of you have advertising artwork for a specific Buick year or model that Pete and I might “borrow” for the Bugle, please get in touch with us. Showing these ads on future Bugle pages might be the only place the artwork can be shared and viewed by a larger audience — and there can surely be no better audience to appreciate this outstanding original Buick artwork than your fellow BCA readers!

Thanks for the feedback, Cindy

Like.

I'm of two minds regarding the eBugle - if I read it, then when my paper copy arrives, there is less incentive to dig into it, unless there was something I wanted to be sure the family sees.

I enjoyed playing a variation of "Where's Waldo?" with the '54 wagon in the October issue as it made a few cameo appearances.

It is interesting, beyond the name and background work on the Bugle, I knew Cindy only by name. Meeting her in person at the National was a treat - her energy and enthusiasm are off the charts. Working with her on the article we put together for the October Bugle was a treat. If you ever get a chance to meet this wonderful lady, by all means, do so.

The center fold-out in this issue was awesome. So amazing to my wife and I that it was done in 1914. We studied the detail closely. Almost hard to imagine. Quite interesting subject matter. Buick would never even consider showing hunters in an advertising piece as it would offend too many folks today. The Lincoln Highway piece was equally interesting and detailed for 1914.

Cars that old aren't of great interest to me but all the articles demanded my attention. That indicates a job well done to me. The pictures of the car that flipped over on the trailer were priceless.

Thanks to all involved for the issue content

• 2 weeks later...

1964 Buick Electra 225 would be a proper use for the fold-out. Actually I never saw the fold-out until it was brought up here. My interest in cars of that era is limited to standing next to them and getting the information from the owner. Cars of the first 3 decades of Buick production are over represented in Bugle articles (scan the e-Bugles to verify). There are at least 6 decades since then. Modified cars? Nope...will probably give someone hives or at least a rash.

After doing dozens of research papers in college, it irks me see these articles in the Bugle with no footnotes or bibliography. There is no way to follow up to the original source on on a statement. Also giving credit to the original source is the polite (and legal) thing to do.

Willie

old-tank, I would like to respond to some things that you have in your last posting. You say that you feel the cars from Buick's first three decades are over-represented in the Bugle - and to scan the eBugle to verify. I, and maybe some others do not understand that last part. Verify what here? You are the very first, and only, BCA member that I have ever heard say something like that. I would really like to bring something to your attention to think about. If it weren't for the first three decades of Buicks, there wouldn't be any Buicks like the one you are standing beside in your avatar. Just something to think about. Your comment about the 'modified' cars - well, I ain't touchin' that with a 30 foot pole! You also seem to be down in the mouth about giving source credit in the written articles. I disagree with you on that issue. The November 2014 issue is a perfect example of where you are wrong on that point. Pete and Cindy both did an excellent job of painting the picture that the 1914 Buick Sales Brochure was the basis for the fold-out and photographs used in the 100th Anniversary article. Please explain to everyone what else it is that they should have done but did not do. I am planning on bringing one of our three Buicks to the BCA meet in Springfield next Summer. IF you come to the meet, stop by our car and my wife and I will educate you as to the details of a 'first three decades' Buick automobile. Who knows, keep an open mind and you just might learn a thing or two, and you just might come away with a new appreciation for the 'first three decades' of Buicks.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Hi Terry --- I expected no less from you knowing your passion is with the early Buicks.:D When I go to car shows I put a copy of the Bugle with an application on the from seat of Buicks I have never seen before. That one on the 1914's would not generate much interest in the club if the Buick was a 70 GSX, a 64 LeSabre, or a 50 Woody.

Lamar and Cindy asked for feedback and discussion...I complied with that request.

Send me a PM for further discussion.

Willie Pittman