What is this LaSalle part?

TexRiv_63

I need help with this LaSalle piece. It is 9 3/4" diameter, stamped nickel plated steel with a 1 11/16" diameter brass emblem in the center. Looks like it could be a cap for a spare tire but couldn't find any thing similar in a photo search. I would like to know the original use and what year it is from, thanks for your help.

post-51036-143142810653_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143142810671_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143142810701_thumb.jpg

Looks like a spare wheel hub cover for a fender mounted spare wheel, Packards of the late 1920's used a similar sized "dish" for that purpose.

That's what I thought too but a rather long photo search has turned up nothing. The early 20s Lasalles with demountable rims had top mounts for the spares with no center bracket. Later cars with fixed rims both wire and wood show hubcaps matching the regular wheels. The size of this is larger than any normal hubcap center I've ever seen. Could it be a decorative holddown for a trunk-mounted spare in a later 30s car? Does anyone have any photos inside Lasalle trunks?

I think I found it. I had been looking at wire and wood wheeled cars but forgot about DISC wheels. I found pics of a 1927 LaSalle with disc wheels and sidemounts and the sidemount cap has the right look and size. Couldn't find a closeup but I think this is it. Anybody own one?

post-51036-14314281258_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...