Spark plug wire colors

Guest 1951Olds88

Guest 1951Olds88

In an earlier restoration my car was given blue Belden PVC spark plug wires. I would like to go back original looking wires and have found cloth braided spark plug wires on the Internet in many different colors. My car is not a hot rod, so I think the yellow with black tracer is probably not a good idea.

I prefer to keep it as close to stock as possible, can anyone advise (1951 Olds 88-A)? The wiring chart that I have is not clear, could be black, or were they green to match the color of the block and rocker covers?

TIA

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1951Olds88
original spark plug wires were most likely delco-packard 440 plug wires, which are a gray-black color.

Thanks again Charles, once again you come through with useful information. After researching Delco-Packard 440 wires, I see that they are NOT braided, correct?

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest myold88

Stefan, My factory original 88A wires were black. Fusick Auto sells the correct plug wires or at least did when I replaced mine years ago.

Braded wires are for much older vehicles.

Guest 1951Olds88

Thanks Keith,

Yes Fusick do have these in Delco wires, although they are now very dark grey, rather than true black. And not braided either.

Stefan