Update on rotated front brake backing plates

Beltfed

Well guys, it didn't work. I missed one very important thing. When you move the backing plate out by 1/2" you move the brake drum with it. Then the bearings no longer line up with the races on the spindle. So that idea goes in the scrap bin. Went another route by grinding the pie shape piece off the top King pin knuckle. Had to cut a section of the backing plate out to get it to fit and it looks like I'm going to have to grind a very small piece off the brake cylinder, in a non critical place, to get it to fit up. Pics to follow. This is almost like building hot rods, neat! If only I could figure a way to get 400 horse out of that big 12 cylinder.

Darn, ran out of tissues again.

Abe, enlighten me. The wheel is a wide 5 pattern and the wheel lugs are on the drum. I can't remember seeing such a setup on a disc brake unit. Straight axles are new to me as I always have set the front end up with a IFS. Can you suggest a source for a wide five disc unit? I have never even been able to source a wide five drum new from any of the usual places like Speedway. Thanks

Beltfed:

I haven't done the conversion, but I have thought about it. I think Speedway as well as others still have a kit www.speedwaymotors.com/Complete-Disc-Brake-Kit-1937-48-Ford-5-on-5-1-2-BC,1997.html. Its a bit tough to find on the webpage, uses Ford truck rotors and Chevy calipers. There is a warning about center hole size. I also recall a couple of threads in this forum, maybe someone who has done the conversion will chime in.

I have changed the master cylinder for a power unit, seemed to work pretty good. If I add disks, I'll want a 2 lb. pressure retainer in the line to the front disks, and a pressure adjuster in the line to the rear drums.

Abe

I have looked at a number of catalogs like Speedway, JEGs, and others. Never have seen a disc conversation for the wide five rims anywhere. Of course, if I were changing wheels then a number of 5 on x become available but in wanting to keep the original look of the car, that's not what I wish to do.

I pulled, no make that hammered, the right front dum off yesterday. I thought it was caught on the shoes. Adjusted them all the way in and still no joy. Finally got it off and can say without any doubt, it's the worst set of wheel bearings I have ever seen. I can't believe this car could move without pushing the right front tire.

Oh well, as we say in the street rod world, "It's only money".

Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)

Although I'm not doing what is being done in this thread, I'm very interested in the process. I'm always impressed with the solutions that other find to problems.

I hope you stay because I'm sure many of us are interested in what you're doing and not every post has to apply to everyone.

This forum is slow enough as it is now. The more participation the better.

Somewhere, earlier, there was a post regarding re engineering the front brakes on later Lincoln cars--40's and later. Where a ford pick up disk brake set would work. Check the file to see. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Glenn Lorei b6vt

Thank you, oldbuickone.

I have enjoyed Mssr. Bwatoe's posts in the past. He is an avid poster and this site needs that. We don't agree on everything but that's OK to. If he really knew what I purchased he might have a kinder heart about it. I have a real mess on my hands. The latest subject is the brakes, they are hydraulic on a cable brake 38. I didn't receive any of the original parts including the backing plates, so I'm forced to push on from there.

As I have stated in the past, I plan on keeping it as original looking as possible but I will not take an unsafe car on the road. Even old skinflint Henry knew that cable brakes were horse and buggy items and needed to be updated. Now, if a car is equipped with this system and it works, I wouldn't change it. But that ain't what I got. I just have to play the hand I'm dealt.

BTW, 'jury rigged' is a nautical term that refers to make shift repairs or temporary contrivances. Believe me, my repairs will be anything other than that. Mssr. Bwatoe, look up 'gun decking', that what I'm dealing with.

19tom40, Here's the problem. The Lincoln backing plate is much flatter than the Fords, or in other words the depth in the recessed areas. A latter model Ford round spindle will not work as they were designed for the deep recess of the Ford's backing plate. Basically what has to happen is rolling the top edge of the spindle over horizontally, tapering back toward the king pin boss. Zephyr backing plates and ribbed drums are a favorite among the roadster guys.

If you can get your hands on a June, 2014 copy of "Rod & Custom", this process is shown in good detail.

I believe they would. I just don't want to spend the bucks to do it and that is if I could find them. I have almost finished fitting up the backing plates and will post the pics very soon. I had the chance to eat lunch the other day with a wise old mechanic and auto shop teacher. He has raced, built NASCAR engines, and with his dad has a lot of knowledge of v12 engines. When I asked about doing this brake job thing he said something like, "Son, you're not plowing new ground. We did that to a ton of Fords, Mercs, and Lincoln's."

On another matter, he spoke of trying to "renew" worn out Lincoln brake drums. Stay tuned, I might be looking to buy some of your scrap drums.

post-88682-143142830993_thumb.jpgWell, it took awhile but I got 'er done. Here are several pics of what I had to do to get them fit up properly. Now to dive into the rest of the front end. You ain't seen nothing yet...I have two 3" pipe couplers welded to the frame over the straight axle for some reason. More on that soon.

post-88682-143142830958_thumb.jpg

post-88682-143142830976_thumb.jpg