1935 Dictator headlight lens

ken1007

How is the headlight lens secured to the head light body? I do not see any trim/bezel. I am not sure which headlight assembly is on the car. I think it supposed to have the Model A-B-C, but it only has three wires coming out which indicates Model A1 to 7A. It does have part (6) head lamp reflector guide part 258596. Ken, Deltaville Va

post-91418-143142808998_thumb.jpg

Guest 37Dictator

Ken

The procedure for removing your lens can be found in the 35 Shop Manual.

Your car would have the headlights shown in the illustration for Models 1A to 7A ...your headlight should have a retaining screw on the underside if the light which has to be loosened off all the way.

The screw will be retained in the body of the light fixture after loosening.

Once loosened you can apply pressure in and down on the lens so the top of the lens will snap out of the lamp body at the top. Continue to apply pressure so that the gap between the lens and the body becomes 3/8"

With the lens in this position grasp it firmly at the top and pull outward and upward. Note there is a cork seal between the lens and the reflector and this may hold the lens from releasing easily but by working slowly it should release.

Normally no sealant was used on the gasket when the lens was installed.

When removing your headlight lens from your car put blankets or padding below the light and on the floor. You do not want to break the lens if for any reason it slips out of your hand.

Regards Frank

I believe that there were two different head lights used in 1935.

The was the standard head light and the "control beam"

The control beam had a solenoid that moved the reflector when a car came towards you to avoid

blinding the other driver.

You should have the 1935 shop manual when you are trying to work on this car.

Robert Kapteyn