65 Riv int trim questions

Rufcar

In my 65 Riv GS it came with saddle interior. It has a green/ gold headliner and matching sun shades with a darker gold or rust colored carpet and a gold/light brown vinyl covered parcel deck. I have done restorations a very long time so I can tell you this much, the seats are a light saddle and some dealers offer a light and dark saddle so question #1 did Buick offer a light and dark saddle? #2 if your option is Custom saddle interior what color was the carpet and headliner?

FYI, My greenish/gold headliner and sun shades appear to be original the carpet not so much but it is the same carpet on the rear of my original saddle front seats. The vinyl parcel deck also appears to be original in every way too as I had it out and everything looks 50 yrs old!

I am trying to decide which was which so I know what to order. My front seats need to be replaced but my rear seats and arm rests are perfect, hence the light saddle question. I did get samples from Clarks but the headliner and carpet samples compared to my pieces are questionable. I just want know how the cars came from GM then I can decide.

Tkx Jim

Jim,

I believe my '65 GS has the same interior as yours. It is still all original including the seats, carpet, headliner and package tray covering. I've attached a few pictures for you to compare. You are not located too far from me so if you would like to see the car interior first hand that would be fine. Hope this helps.

post-42951-143142809032_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143142809039_thumb.jpg

Mike with my self imposed busy summer I n ever got to see you I was hoping to do so this sunday if possible before the weather turns bad. Unfortunately I have my GS apart so Ill be driving something else. let me know. 362 3477

Jim,

Buick only offered one saddle interior option (in terms of shade of the vinyl) but there are many different shades in the interior depending on component and surface. Also, keep in mind that the original saddle vinyl material has a tendency to fade to a greenish tint due to UV exposure.

I think you will find the replacement vinyl which is offered has an "antiqued" finish which has a mottled appearance, very popular in the `80`s. The original saddle vinyl was a solid color very close to caramel in shade. You can compare new samples with your rear seats but I dont think you will be satisfied with the match. You may end up doing a complete seat kit.

The carpets should be a medium saddle. I did a saddle interior about 5 years ago and found ACC had a perfect match to the original carpeting which I obtained from under the sill plates. As to what material is available from the vendors at this time I dont know...but I have found ACC colors to be "spot on" in other applications also.

If you want absolute original replication pay attention to the binding if you do door panels. The binding along the carpeted edge should be a dark bronze which blends more closely with the carpeting, not the same material as the field of the door panel which I often see. In addition to shade the grain of the binding is the same grain as in `64 interiors and not the `65 Madrid grain.

Also, the rear windlace around the door openings should be the same color as the rest of the upholstery but the front windlace is a dark bronze which more closely matches the lower door panel binding, carpeted kick panels and the dash end caps.

Believe it or not the knee pad on the passenger side is not the same material as the rest of the upholstery but is the same champagne color as the champage colored cloth and vinyl interior ( called Fawn) as are the package shelf painted trim parts which are the same champagne color.

The package shelf was originally a finished cardboard, not vinyl covered.

Had enough yet?

I wont ramble on but suffice to say there are MANY different factory correct shades of saddle in your interior. Have fun,

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Jim,

How bad are your front seats? I ask because I think saving as much of the original interior as possible should be a priority. If only the seat cushion or the seat back has sun damage you might be able to match the vinyl for texture and color and have yours rebuilt. You should also take a look at a portion of the material which has not be exposed to the sun to see what the original color was and how it matches your back seat. If you can get a small sample which matches your back seat I would recommend sending it to SMS in Canby Oregon. They have an unbelievable ability to match almost any vinyl and color. At least it wouldn't hurt to try. They were able to match perfectly the vinyl in my all original 1960 Studebaker wagon when I only wanted to replace the seat cushion. They were also able to match the embossed design to the extent that nobody has been able to tell what part is original from what has been replaced.

Jim,

How bad are your front seats? I ask because I think saving as much of the original interior as possible should be a priority. If only the seat cushion or the seat back has sun damage you might be able to match the vinyl for texture and color and have yours rebuilt. You should also take a look at a portion of the material which has not be exposed to the sun to see what the original color was and how it matches your back seat. If you can get a small sample which matches your back seat I would recommend sending it to SMS in Canby Oregon. They have an unbelievable ability to match almost any vinyl and color. At least it wouldn't hurt to try. They were able to match perfectly the vinyl in my all original 1960 Studebaker wagon when I only wanted to replace the seat cushion. They were also able to match the embossed design to the extent that nobody has been able to tell what part is original from what has been replaced.

I agree on SMS.....I was able to buy enough code 620 dark green vinyl from them to redo my interior if I ever need to. It is original 50 year old fabric......nobody else had any of the material and it is not reproduced. It was not cheap, I paid a thousand dollars for enough to redo my seats and door panels. Also, if you want to see what the saddle interior

looked like when the cars were new, there is a very good picture in the 1965 Buick sales brochure......a giant blow up picture of the deluxe

saddle interior in the Riviera.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I tried to find either a good old drivers seat or some old material in saddle to match all to no avail.

I am still searching. Bestoffers has many of the parts I need but never answer calls or emails.