My addiction

NC-car-guy

Hi all.

Been a while since I posted. I have sold all my Buicks, spare parts, etc to get my way through a rough realestate deal. Now I am having seller's remorse!

I've looked at a few cars here and there including other brands such as CH**Y, etc and while they are nice runners for the money, I just haven't felt excited about them. I thought I'd be smart and look for something easier to find parts for and such, but you really lose out on the uniqueness! Anyway, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a driver around the 5k mark. I've decided restoration projects are too much, I always end up losing interest before they are done. I want a tinker project. Eh, that's my vent, hope everyone on here is doing well!

Glad to hear from you Matthew. I was thinking something was up, but make no judgment call on the situation. Everyone must do what they have to do.

There should be lots of unique cars out there in your range, although you may have to drive a bit to find them. I hope it's another Buick when you do find one.

Is there a particular era or style of car you are looking for?

Cars from the 70s or 80s can be dirt cheap. If you want something older into the 50s or 60s you will likely need to look at a four door (sedan if the 50s) to fit the price range. It was a few years ago, but I found our '75 Electra at a local lot for $1500 with a valid inspection (which meant I didn't need to spend $40 for an inspection plus any associated repairs to correct deficiencies). Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely a 50's guy! So I bought a 50 Chevy, well below my price range, running and driving, but it's not exciting me. Also, no offense, but the guys on the Chevy boards are just not as...i don't know, they are just different not bad but again not exciting. So here I sit browsing CL and the buick forum! HA! I don't mind more doors at all. Guess it's time to sell the chebby and see what I can find!

I hope you find something to scratch that itch soon. While the 50's stuff is fun don't overlook the mid to late 60's. The last gen nailheads are nice engines and the early wedge engines are super powerhouses.

The mid-late 60's aren't my thing. There's a few cars in there I like. There's a couple early 60's I like. There's a few cars I like in the 70's just because I remember my parents having them. The 40's and 50's have always been my favorite to look at, but good driving cars really started in the 50's (or so I think).

Seller's remorse has ALWAYS been a lot easier for me to get over compared to buyer's remorse. Especially if you carry large amounts in you pocket, just a squeeze makes me smile.

If you are under 40 take a tip from the old guys. A lot of us have cars that we bought for the equivalent of $3,000 to $5,000 when they were 15 to 20 years old. When you reach your early 50's, even mid 60's you will have something fairly special.

Believe me, the time goes by fast. And the recognition of having an old car comes quickly. I was 30 years old when I paid about $2,000 for my '64 Riviera. It was almost 15 then. Checking the buying power of the US dollar in 1978 I reached. In 2014 money I would have paid a little over $8,000 after taxes or earned close to $12,000. In today's economy that is quite a toy for a 30 year old.

I applied the same logic about four years ago when I bought my '94 Impala SS. It was about 16 years old and a really nice example. I paid $9,000 with tax and all at a dealer. It is 20 years old now and already has collector car insurance as well as being a durable and recognizable car. I have spent about $1500 on things like tires and shocks.

With a $5,000 budget there are a lot of good deals out there. Be sure to go with "resale" type colors on cars with "eyes". A black 1996 Roadmaster is a keeper, as are Fleetwoods, some older Town Cars, and few others that will endure as collectible Buicks have.

If you are tempted to get a more desirable car in project form, don't forget, a part time job netting $100 a week will take about the same amount of time you would spend making some lump drivable again. Consider a part time job to pay for addition money on a three year $5,000 load to double your money and get instant gratification. Pay it off early with a windfall.

There are a lot of angles to play. I did good 35 years ago and I'm planning another 40 years more.

Bernie

Guest Doug Burton

You like what you like and that is just fine. My goal was to locate and purchase a Buick that was one of the same models I remember growing up. Just something special about going with dad to pick out a new ride, so my choice was clear. I was getting near to having my license when we got the '61 Electra (Dad always bought his cars about 2 years old so all the bugs were worked out). My sister had just gotten her license, so we did a lot of crusin' in the family car. There was just something special about that car. Loved the way it looked both inside and out.

Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

I don't do it for value. I just like the 1950s cars.... Maybe I'm crazy. Lol

Maybe?.... I have not met an old iron collector yet that did not have a few loose screws including me. :P I'm a bad greaseaholic. Suffer from rustitis, byanoddertoolfrania, Paintafaddedblindeye, and Dodge the white coat dudes all the time. ;) Dandy Dave!

YOU is NOT crazy, well, MAYBE........,for sure Dandy Dave is, hehe.

Here is a super duper cool 1951 Packard 200, with a late model Hemi.

This featured in current Street Rodder Mag.

This is one car you don't see many of, but cool 4-door, and I LIKE FOUR DOOR CARS.

Dale in Indy

Mr. Earl, note SCALLOPS on the Ford,

post-67970-143142865224_thumb.jpg

post-67970-143142865212_thumb.jpg

post-67970-143142865217_thumb.jpg

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Not bad looking, but for maybe a bit more you really should check out Matt Hinson's '54 - posted earlier in this thread.

http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1954-bui...or-379875.html

Matt is a straight shooter, and you'll know what you're getting !!