Can I get this fixed???

nick8086

Guest buickkuhn

I hate to be negative , but that old time cast aluminum sucks to attempt to repair , maybe just ask on here for a replacement door handle / window crank ?

I would say it can be repaired but it will not be cheap, if replacements are available that would be the way to go. If you decide to repair I have a friend that likes challenges that might be interested in the job or give free advice on how he would fix it.

One way would be to bore the handle to accept a machined replacement internally splined stub. The stub would be pressed into the bore and pinned from the bottom where it wouldn't be seen. Probably be about 6 to 8 hours of machine time at maybe $75/hr. No guarantee the crappy pot metal would not break in use. NC for the advice................Bob

Guest AlCapone

I lost considerable money on a fix that ended in failure. It looked good and broke on the first use. I found a replacement at Hershey. Wayne

Put it together with epoxy and get one lost wax cast in stainless steel or find a replacement.

I agree 100%, it might be a lot cheaper then you think. Also if there are any pits file them down and fill them with epoxy, assure a real smooth casting. It might pay to have a few extra done and try to sell them to offset the cost.

Guest AlCapone

There is your opportunity Nick / Chris. The search will be over. If it is fixed with a money back guarantee you can't go wrong. Wayne

I'll guarantee it and you don't owe me a dime if it isn't to your satisfaction. I'm not a business, I'm a restorer of these old cars, and have 25 years of welding experience in tight tolerance situations.

Up to you, but it can be fixed with it being preheated and welded.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have wondered where to have things cast in stainless. Can anyone tell me who might be able to do this work? Thanks!

Eric

I found someone... But I have to get 16 made... I may keep 4-6.. So I need to pre-sell 10 of them...

Cost Unknown...cast in stainless

Bear in mind that stainless shrinks more than bronze in the casting process. Probably not an issue with a part this size. Also stainless does not preserve detail quite as well as other metals due to the fact that it isn't as "liquid" when it's poured. Hopefully you are buying these castings already polished. Polishing stainless castings is a chore.

It depends on what your trying to do, if it is highly dteailed and decroative, then cast it out of bronze, if it needs polishing from stainless you may be able to machine a part out. If you let me knopw what your trying to do, I may be able to help.

What are you trying to make? found someone... But I have to get 16 made... I may keep 4-6.. So I need to pre-sell 10 of them...

Cost Unknown...cast in stainless

• 1 year later...