51 chieftain

Guest danny boy

Guest danny boy

:confused: Hello. I have a noise in my L head 6cyl. It sounds like a light "knock" if there is a knock that is light. It has been doing it for about 6-8 months. Oil pressure is 38 to 42 lbs hot or cold. The knock is the same at idle or at a driving speed hot or cold sounds the same. I have went all over the engine with a long medal rod and can not hear it or pick it up. Took one plug wire at a time off to relax that cylinder and no change. I was wondering if anybody has heard of this before or not. Any info on this would be great. Thanks in advance for any hints. Danny boy

Possible condion known as "piston slap", where the piston is loose in the cylinder bore. Squirt a few drops of heavy oil into each cylinder, one at a time, to see if it makes any difference, and let us know what you find. Possible worn wrist pin also.

Guest danny boy

Thanks much for the advice and i will try it in a few days.The weather here is nuts but will be better mon. and tues. Thanks again!!!!!

Accelerate in first gear. leaving the car in gear remove your foot from the gas pedal and coast creating an engine braking condition. Listen for the noise. If the noise is more pronounced it is likely your wrist pins are worn or piston slap as mentioned above. Good luck.