New Battery!

Guest gdiwicker

Guest gdiwicker

Hey All, just wanted some opinions on a battery replacement for my 64. My current one is at least 8 years old and is tired. The only research Ive done is looking at reviews of the yellow top optima. Most of them have not been good sighting that once production moved from Colorado to Mexico, the quality went down. Anybody really happy with their battery?

Guest onedesertdog

8 Yrs. WOW! Here in Az. we have what we call "Rent a Battery" lol. 5 yr battery might last 3 years.

Last one I bought for the 65 was an Exide 24FS, putting the neg. to the fender side.

I like Exide because it comes with a warranty AND a number to call if your battery goes dead. They come jump start it or replace the battery.

Buddy

I too have had good experience with interstate batteries. If you're going back with something stock you want a Type 27. But to get the positive cable away from the hood braces install a type 27F. The posts are reversed so you can have the positive cable on the back side of the battery and closer to the radiator.

Guest dwhiteside64

All good advice here. Also make sure to get the 1000 CA version in order to help turn that monster-sized motor over with ease! :cool:

Always had good performance & service from Interstate Batteries Drew

I sold Interstate batteries for 36 years.......had them removed from my facility a year ago because

they were all going bad in 12 months. Interstate is not the same company they used to be.....prices went way up and quality went way down. The best battery I have found that I sell now is the Super Start batteries that O'reilly auto parts

sells. Put one of those in along with a battery topper from OPGI and it will look like a 1964 Delco battery. That's what

I have in my Riviera.

Guest dwhiteside64
I sold Interstate batteries for 36 years.......had them removed from my facility a year ago because

they were all going bad in 12 months. Interstate is not the same company they used to be.....prices went way up and quality went way down. The best battery I have found that I sell now is the Super Start batteries that O'reilly auto parts

sells. Put one of those in along with a battery topper from OPGI and it will look like a 1964 Delco battery. That's what

I have in my Riviera.

Hey the Super Start is what I use too!

Put one of those in along with a battery topper from OPGI and it will look like a 1964 Delco battery. That's what I have in my Riviera.

FYI - Battery toppers do not come in a size to fit a group 27 battery, 59 is the largest they have and it's somewhat shorter than a 27.

From Battery Topper Website:

$59.95. $7.00 shipping and handling. Orders shipped out within 24 hours via Priority USPS (United States Postal Service), with confirmation notice.

From OPGI website:

iviera Battery Cover, Delco DC12, top post w/o tag Part # G990032Retail: $76.95 SAVE $7.06 OPGI Price: $69.89

FYI - Battery toppers do not come in a size to fit a group 27 battery, 59 is the largest they have and it's somewhat shorter than a 27.

From Battery Topper Website:

$59.95. $7.00 shipping and handling. Orders shipped out within 24 hours via Priority USPS (United States Postal Service), with confirmation notice.

From OPGI website:

iviera Battery Cover, Delco DC12, top post w/o tag Part # G990032Retail: $76.95 SAVE $7.06 OPGI Price: $69.89

I am using a group 24F battery, the posts are in the right place(positive next to radiator) and the topper

goes right on and looks great and the factory hold down works great after trimming the radiator support side of the hold down to go over the topper. The topper is labeled incorrectly on the plus and minus, but you can't

see that when the cables are on the posts.

Sorry to hear about quality problems with Interstate. I have been using them for years and have often recommended them. I have one in a 1988 Jeep Cherokee still going strong after almost fourteen years! In all my six volt cars I use Optima batteries, these are truly a step up from the standard wet type batteries, for a number of reasons.

For the most part batteries are batteries. Most are made by Johnson Controls. See link below. Delco and Exide appear to still be making their own batteries.

http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-interstate-batteries/

Here is a battery company that has gotten my attention. Looks like they are making a good product.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_batteries.aspx?gclid=CI765pzK5MECFY9cfgod9EQAPA

I am glad to hear you still have your '64, Ryan, and that you are driving it. Batteries die. You plan to repllace them every 5 years or so, depending on where you live (how hot or cold it is there).

I keep a battery minder on my Riviera. It seems to extend the battery life of a vehicle that is driven irregularly. YMMV.

A good electronic voltage regulator on the car, as opposed to the original mechanical unit, will also extend a battery's life if you drive a lot. There are cheap electronic models out there. You don't want that. But the really good electronic units are amazing.

I am glad to hear you still have your '64, Ryan, and that you are driving it. Batteries die. You plan to repllace them every 5 years or so, depending on where you live (how hot or cold it is there).

I keep a battery minder on my Riviera. It seems to extend the battery life of a vehicle that is driven irregularly. YMMV.

A good electronic voltage regulator on the car, as opposed to the original mechanical unit, will also extend a battery's life if you drive a lot. There are cheap electronic models out there. You don't want that. But the really good electronic units are amazing.

Or just convert to a newer Delco alternator with an internal regulator and higher output. Leave the external regulator in place for looks.

I just did this conversion on one of my cars. Went from the stock 60 amp to a 100 amp. Nice bright headlights and a stronger battery charge.