How safe is a Reatta in a crash ?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

I was recently rear-ended in my little Toyota pickup. It took quite a hit in the rear. Anyways, it got me thinking about all my cars and how they would fare in an accident. Does anyone know what NHTSA rating the Reatta got? (how many stars?) Also, I would like to hear from anyone out there who has been in an accident in their Reatta and how they and their car fared? (we're talking more than just a fender bender) Just trying to get an idea of how robust the Reatta is.

Thanks, Kit

The one time I let someone borrow my Reatta, they called me telling me someone rear-ended it. The person who hit it had fled, saying they had no insurance.. The story my friend said is that the other car, which was a Toyota or something of the like, crumpled up enough in the front that the hood was bent. While the Reatta, as I saw when he arrived, was as if almost nothing happened.. The rear bumper pad that a scuff, that was all. I since restored my car so even that is gone now. I guess the trick is having something newer and less stiff hit it, their cars absorb all the energy. :)

I was recently rear-ended in my little Toyota pickup. It took quite a hit in the rear. Anyways, it got me thinking about all my cars and how they would fare in an accident. Does anyone know what NHTSA rating the Reatta got? (how many stars?) Also, I would like to hear from anyone out there who has been in an accident in their Reatta and how they and their car fared? (we're talking more than just a fender bender) Just trying to get an idea of how robust the Reatta is.

Thanks, Kit

I find having a class IV receiver in the back is a major damage reducer when rear-ended.

One thing, the GM cars of the period had "energy absorbing rear bumpers" which means a thingie like a shock absorber laid on its side on each side. When you take a hit in the rear everything may look fine but make sure the bumper assembly has not been pushed forward (check the wheel well) and the thingies are not leaking.