1937 Buick Special radiator removal

Guest oldnslo

Guest oldnslo

Anybody know the steps required to extract the radiator from a 37 special?, looks like the entire nose of the car is gonna have to come off.

I have removed and replaced mine like it is described in the Torque Tube. I had the head off at the time which gave me a little more room. I'm sure with the head on it would have been more challenging, but then again taking off the front section of the car wouldn't be fun either.

On my 38 ,If i remember right, it will fit with put out the Waterpump complete with Fan.

then took off the Hood, loosen the Radiator, step onto the front Bumper with both Feets an pull the Rad carefull out.

I would also secure the Rad with a thick carton on it that will fit correct and tight.

Guest buickkuhn

Oh man the weight of it too , when I changed mine in my 41 special had to weight 60 pounds .Two person job for safety and the cardboard for safety like mentioned above .

Hi,

This is a two-person job. That radiator is heavy! Before I had it out I first removed the fan. I recall that the fan had to be removed in order to get the radiator out.

Be sure to put a cardboard shield on the radiator to prevent damage. The real trick of this whole process is to turn the fan bolts around backwards through the hub so you can hang the pulley and the fan on them for re-installation using nuts. The fan is nearly un-installable otherwise. I don't recall specifically, but you may need longer bolts for the fan--an easy hardware item.

--Tom

Edited by trp3141592
More details (see edit history)

Guest buickkuhn

Must have been the thing over the years to make just enough room for the fan to be removed . That is how my 41 special is - not enough room to put your hand in between the two .

post-103843-143142810749_thumb.jpg