Chrysler steering gearbox??

thehandleman

well, I knew that it had a tag that said Chrysler but I need a year??? My books do not go back earlier then 1929, what year did Chrysler start using the bakelite steering wheels Instead of wood?? Thanks

1927 was the last year for the wood steering wheel for Chrysler. Is yours a three spoke or four spoke wheel? A photo of the wheel would help a lot.

• 4 years later...

I came across your post because I bought a steering column gearbox and complete wooden wheel and I have C18358 steering box.  I bought it because the steering wheel is completely wood even the spokes

14 hours ago, KDS said:

I came across your post because I bought a steering column gearbox and complete wooden wheel and I have C18358 steering box.  I bought it because the steering wheel is completely wood even the spokes

Let's see it.

I have this very assembly for sale on WPC site, wood 4 spoke wheel, column, controls, box C18358 etc, understand it was  for 1928 era Chrysler and Plymouth. This assembly has jacket length of 37.4"(underside of wheel to adjusting nut on box). I have a near identical assembly with same box C18358 that is 38.25" long, and uses a 4 spoke bakelite wheel slightly different controls and was told was 1929 Dodge. So my guess is box C18358 was used for 2-3 years for several MOPAR products, but caution buyers as jacket/shaft length varied by model, as did controls and maybe clum switch. The wooden spoked wheel is interesting as it appears to be all wood except for a small steel hub. 

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5777.JPG

Very hard to pinpoint exact year of Chrysler, parts from this era vary from car to car. I rebuilt a very original 1927 model 50 that had an all wood steering wheel identical to the one of gunsmokes above, however the advance /retard levers and controls were very different and made of bakelite.

My 1928 model 52 had an 4 spoke alloy spider with wood rim steering wheel and my 26 model G70 has also an alloy 4 spoke spider with wood rim.

If one researches the Chrysler parts book of the era, you will find frequent changes to part numbers, often on the same model, and numbers were different on RHD and LHD models.

Looking at gunsmokes pictures, I would think the all wood wheel one is most likely 1929 and probably Plymouth, the bakelite wheel one is most likely late 29 or even 1930. 

If you google 1928 Plymouth, and further "oldest known Plymouth" (they first appeared in 1928 model year), you will find they used this very assembly I showed, 4 spoke all wood wheel with the same controls I've shown. I think I've seen the same wheel on other restored MOPARs such as a 1927 and 1928 Chrysler, but with different controls. I've had offers from people who want to put the wheel on '29/30/31 models due to it being wood!  I'm saying 1928 Plymouth for the one I show, but this wood wheel started with 1927 Chrysler. 

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

If you google 1928 Plymouth, and further "oldest known Plymouth" (they first appeared in 1928 model year), you will find they used this very assembly I showed, 4 spoke all wood wheel with the same controls I've shown. I think I've seen the same wheel on other restored MOPARs such as a 1927 and 1928 Chrysler, but with different controls. I've had offers from people who want to put the wheel on '29/30/31 models due to it being wood!  I'm saying 1928 Plymouth for the one I show, but this wood wheel started with 1927 Chrysler. 

My 1926 Chrysler Model 58 had the same steering wheel if my memory serves me correctly.

• Thanks 1

K31, a 1926 Chrysler Model G70 image on Google does shows same (or similar) wooden wheel, however with much different controls. The Chrysler pre '34 parts list shows a different "steering assembly"' for virtually every make and year. Such assemblies may share some parts, (such as same box housing, same or similar wheel, clum switch, etc) but may have different shaft length, jacket, controls etc, etc. Interestingly, they do not show shared steering wheel for any years except for some Imperials. Again, differences may be subtle.  Original posting was regarding steering box (housing) # C18358 which was common to several 1927-1929 era MOPARS, but may have had a worm gear with a longer shaft depending on model/year. For example I have 2 such identical boxes (C18358) with different length shafts/jackets, and different controls, one I believe is 28/29 Dodge, the other I believe is '28 Plymouth.