The Attack of the 50-Ft. Studebaker

Guest Magoo

Well, you have to look at it from their perspective. The car was no longer in "style" and cars were looking more modern. So the company probably needed to make a decision regarding the car. I agree that it's a shame that they burned it to the ground. It would make a fascinating museum piece.

Rog

And, for you fans of Zippy the Pinhead, here is another take on the giant Studebaker...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]278246[/ATTACH]

Wow, thanks. I had no idea Zippy had visited. Awesome.

Damn shame they burned it to the ground.

I think the car's fate was probably sealed when they constructed it in untreated white pine. After a few Indiana winters it was most likely disintegrating.

We have a town near us where a McDonalds was not allowed permission by the zoning board to have a red roof. Imagine trying to push the model Studebaker through today's zoning boards across America.

A few times I have nestled into one of my automotive history books and looked at the roadside attractions from the 1920's to the '60's. So many would have died in the planning phase. No surplus bomber gas station, no derby shaped restaurants, no giant reptiles, Studebakers, or anything else that didn't conform with today's level of safe secure mediocrity.

I can see the zoning board watching Pinhead climb up to the radiator now:

Bernie

These days the insurance companies would call that giant car an "attractive nuisance". My buddy had two big robots made from car parts on his front yard and he had to remove them so that he could insure his property. They were afraid kids would climb on them and hurt themselves.

Guest AlCapone

the company was very short sighted. It should have been donated to a museum so that generations to come could have enjoyed it. Wayne

• 2 weeks later...