1935 Rolls-Royce 20-25

1937hd45

All RRs (in the correct years) are CCCA cars. Years ago I was amused by the fact that my 1927 Cadillac was a "Classic", while the 1922 SG RR that belonged to my neighbor was merely am "antique". I think they have changed that now...

• 11 months later...

The 20/25 may have been the car that got 'Rolls-Royce through the Depression' but it had its origins in the Twenty Horsepower model which began production in 1922.  It was also the basis of the Bentleys of the 1930s and eventually evolved into the first post WW2 models, the Silver Dawn/Bentley Mk6 and the Silver Cloud/BentleyS1.

Remember that there was also a brief Depression around 1920/21 and that was when Packard introduced its first lower priced six, which became its volume seller for the rest of the 1920s until the new 'smaller' eight of the Sixth series.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

The 20HP, 20-25, 25-30 and the Wraith were smaller cars intended for the "owner-driver" in an era when the larger RRs were nearly all driven by professionals. Having worked on all of them, I've no reluctance to say they were as well made as any of the large HP cars. Since all of the pre-war cars were coach built, RR had little control over the bodies mounted on them. Many were fitted with bodies designed to be chauffeur driven, though this was not the company's intent when they were introduced and their weight often exceeded the guidelines the company suggested. A Weymann "fabric" body suggests that the original purchaser and coach builder took the RR guidelines seriously. If you've ever driven in London (which I admit is much worse today than it was then) you'll appreciate the value of a smaller car.

Yes, CCCA now recognizes specific makes and models of cars going back to 1915, this was suggested by the Classification Committee of CCCA and approved by a vote of the membership. The current CCCA Classification Committee (I am a member ) has published a list of about 30 cars that qualify in the 1915 - 24 era, and we are hard at work on adding additional makes and models both domestic and European. The CCCA magazine and Bulletin will feature more information and photographs and articles on these cars in the near future; look to the Winter issue of the CCCA magazine "Classic Car" for the first of many installments to welcome these cars and their owners to the meets and activities. Judging guidelines are also being reviewed and revamped to accommodate these cars , and CARavans in the coming years will accommodate the earlier cars . Many of the long time members (I am a member for over 40 years) thought that the year 1925 for the start of the classic era was arbitrary and this has now been corrected.