1947 Chrysler Windsor trans problems

Hello Everyone,

I purchased a 47 Chrysler Windsor Coupe, it has a six cylinder with the fluid drive trans. Its a nice car in good condition. I recently got it running as it had been sitting for a couple years. The car wont move in 1st gear but works in all other gears. To me it doesn't seem like the lever goes back as far as it should when you attempt to put it in first. Should the lever move back as far back as it does when you put the trans in third ? Sure hope theirs some fluid drive wizards out there that are familiar with this issue or can at least point me in the right direction.

,Thanks Guys , any help would be appreciated !

Your car only has shifter positions of low and high ranges only. 2 speeds in each range.

Search "Chrysler Hydraulically Operated Transmission." You will learn how this fluid drive coupling and transmission work.

Shifter Up is low range and shifter pulled down is high--normal driving range.

Reverse is pull to you and up.

Your car only has shifter positions of low and high ranges only. 2 speeds in each range.

Search "Chrysler Hydraulically Operated Transmission." You will learn how this fluid drive coupling and transmission work.

Shifter Up is low range and shifter pulled down is high--normal driving range.

Reverse is pull to you and up.

I`ve done some reading, I see in and down is basically neutral. Learn something new everyday, new to the whole fluid drive thing. Thanks

This subject has been covered exhaustively about 1,000 times. I have personally explained it at least 100 times on this and other boards.

Please do a search in the Chrysler and Dodge sections, there were some exhaustive explanations in 2008. I should have bookmarked them, sorry.

I would like to type out the whole explanation for you for the 1,001 time but am afraid of losing my will to live.

Briefly, the Fluid Drive and self shifting trans is one of the earliest attempts at automatic transmission, with characteristics of both auto and manual trans. It requires a special driving technique, easy to learn. And it requires minimal upkeep and repairs, usually easy and cheap.

It is about the toughest most trouble free of the early automatics, even after 70 years of service. Most problems relate to being low on oil or frayed, broken wiring. The trans and Fluid Drive are very reliable.

Do some reading and if you have any more questions, come back and ask. I don't mind helping but PLEASE use the search function first.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I was going to say maybe Rusty would pipe up on this subject but I thought you had answered this one enough times so I didn't;)!!!

Bob

Ok thanks guys I get it, do some reading. Its probably been answered so many times because a lot of people out there are just getting into these cars and don't realize these issues are common and I guess just normal for how these cars operate. Thanks for the input.

Ok thanks guys I get it, do some reading. Its probably been answered so many times because a lot of people out there are just getting into these cars and don't realize these issues are common and I guess just normal for how these cars operate. Thanks for the input.

That is exactly right. Every year more people come to appreciate the quality, comfort, room, and reliability of these cars. I want you to enjoy your Chrysler to the full, including wowing your friends with your smooth mastery of the unique Fluid Drive and self shifting transmission.

There are a few quirks on these cars that are just offbeat enough that they fool even experienced enthusiasts and mechanics.

In addition to the trans I will only mention left hand wheel bolts and positive ground electrics. These seem to be the things that baffle the most people, but once you learn the tricks they are no problem.

*Best of Rusty, from September 2006*

I have a technique for driving a fluid drive that works very well and makes it practically the same as driving a modern automatic.

Start the engine with the transmission in neutral, the hand brake applied and your foot off the clutch pedal.

Let the engine warm up until it will idle at its slowest speed.

Depress the clutch pedal shift into gear and release the clutch, all with the handbrake still on.

Release the handbrake and drive away like any automatic. When you get up to 15 MPH lift off the gas and wait for the "click-clunk" and step on it again.

This is very easy, it is based on the owner's manual recommended technique.

You have to drive it more like an automatic, if you drive it like a standard you will hate it. It is not a standard, it is a primitive automatic with a few quirks of its own but with a little understanding your fluid drive or fluid torque drive will work great for you.

*Best of Rusty, from September 2006*

I have a technique for driving a fluid drive that works very well and makes it practically the same as driving a modern automatic.

Start the engine with the transmission in neutral, the hand brake applied and your foot off the clutch pedal.

Let the engine warm up until it will idle at its slowest speed.

Depress the clutch pedal shift into gear and release the clutch, all with the handbrake still on.

Release the handbrake and drive away like any automatic. When you get up to 15 MPH lift off the gas and wait for the "click-clunk" and step on it again.

This is very easy, it is based on the owner's manual recommended technique.

You have to drive it more like an automatic, if you drive it like a standard you will hate it. It is not a standard, it is a primitive automatic with a few quirks of its own but with a little understanding your fluid drive or fluid torque drive will work great for you.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input. Im going to drive it as you suggest, I need to repair some frayed wiring I found at the starter and at the trans solenoids first ..... And away I go !! :) ..............Sometimes its just easier and better to just ask the people who know....

Should also add, straight up is Low Range, straight down is High Range, toward you and up is Reverse. Low Range and High Range each have two gears, change up by lifting off the gas. Reverse has only one gear.

All normal driving is done in High Range, Low Range is for slow driving, driving in mud snow or sand, starting on a hill or starting off with a heavy load such as pulling a trailer. You can shift from Low to High range by stepping on the clutch and shifting gears in the usual way.

If you floor the gas pedal the trans will kick down just like a modern automatic, at any speed up to 50MPH.

For best results your idle should be set at 450RPM, very low compared to today's motors. If the idle is too fast the trans will not work correctly.

• 1 month later...
Guest riwersen

Hi Everyone

I just bought a 1947 Chrysler Windsor coupe and this is great information. Does anyone know where the break light switch is located? Thanks in advance

Look for a pressure activated switch on the master cylinder or on the main brake line. I think yours is on the brake line.

These switches give up the ghost but replacements are cheap. If your local parts store gives you the stink eye when you ask for a 1947 Chrysler brake light switch try asking for one for a 1975 VW beetle, they are the same.

Guest riwersen
On my 48 the switch is behind and to the left of the radiator tucked in low and tight on top of the brake line.

Dave

Dave and Rusty

Thank you. Very helpful. Renato

• 2 weeks later...