36 Chrysler 8

Guest jostephens

I really believe this whole dual master cylinder thing is over played. Many of you have had far more cars than I and have many more miles under your belts. I have never had a wheel cylinder fail catastrophically. Nor do I know of anyone who has. I'm not suggesting that it has never happened, but popular opinion states that it is going to happen to you, probably today and you and dozens of others are going to get killed unless you switch to a dual system. I have had cylinders, calipers and hoses fail, but there was always plenty of warning that things were going wrong like mushy or low pedal. A properly rebuilt and properly maintained stock brake system will work each and every time

Bear in mind that the Chrysler has a manual trans that can gear down, and a hand brake on the transmission, completely separate from the wheel brakes. It is capable of stopping the car in an emergency, provided it is in good condition. Not as good as 4 wheel brakes, but will stop the car.

I had an unpleasant experience with my 65 Mercury. All the lines, hoses and wheel cylinders had been replaced ten years ago. A steel holding clip out of view between the frame and body chafed through the steel line. NO BRAKES ! I didn't hit anything but had to get the car towed 35 miles home. A dual cylinder change over is easy on this car. I may change it.

Guest jostephens

I have replaced all four wheel cylinders once and the master cylinder twice, at this time I have no brakes as a wheel cylinder came apart and leaked out all the brake fluid. I bought the cylinders from a reputable dealer in NC, I just don't trust it, although I value everyone's opinion, I am going to switch over to disc with dual master cylinder. </SPAN>

You, or someone, screwed up. Wheel cylinders don't just "come apart". Wrong parts/improper installation is my guess. You're going to be on your own as far as switching to disks. 38 Chryslers aren't very popular rodding material and I seriously doubt you'll find a kit to make the swap.

Not doubting you in any way, but if you have had that much trouble, there is something wrong. The only way a wheel cylinder can come apart is if the pistons are moving out too far in the cylinder. Are the drums oversize? If they are, are the linings oversize and/ or do you have longer wheel cylinder push rods installed? Were the brakes properly adjusted? Were the push rods properly installed on the brake shoes? Been there, done that! :o :mad: Again, not being critical, something isn't right here.

As for converting to disc brakes, I agree with John. I think I am safe in saying that an off the shelf kit doesn't exist.

Terry

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure I'd rather drive on a single reservoir drum brake system designed by an army of engineers at one of the largest auto makers in the world and given millions of miles of testing rather than a dual reservoir disc brake system made of spare parts from various cars cobbled together in a home garage.

And regardless of the type of brakes you use, you're still going to have the same failure vectors: poorly rebuilt parts and/or poorly installed parts.

I rebuilt the brakes on my 1936 Chrysler C7 Convertible and it stops great. Straight and true. I even relined the shoes myself as the ones they sent weren't correct/ Same goes for the rear wheel cylinders. I had to rebuild my originals as the replacements for those wouldn't fit. As mentioned that hand brake works pretty darn well as a brake in an emergency. I had a 35 C6 that I didn't go over well which had a weep to 1 wheel cylinder I didn't catch years ago and went to pull into a gas station only to find I didn't have any brakes. Grabbed the hand brake and it stopped me just fine. Of course it wasn't a panic stop so I had a little time. I would trust Matt's opinion. You can go backwards with a conversion pretty quick as well with the need for proportioning valves and the proper master cylinder to work everything as well as clearances on the calipers. Go to the forward look website and read about all the problems guys have with conversions made for their cars.