1966 Newport Power steering pump

Guest Rob57

I've got a 1966 Chrysler Newport...............my power steering pump "wiggles/shakes" when the engine is running. I'm wondering if I have a bolt missing or possibly the wrong bracket installed.

This first pic was taken from underneath the car. The firewall would be on the right side of the pic and the front of the car is on the left. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a bolt that runs all the way through this bracket and into the block to help stabilize the pump while the engine is running.

post-104104-143142804803_thumb.jpg

This pic was taken from up top. Hard to tell if anything is missing..........

post-104104-143142804811_thumb.jpg

LOL..........it's been that way since we got the car. I keep forgetting to move it............think i'll go do that now since I have nothing else to do at the moment.

Where at the top does it need to be mounted? I'm not seeing anyplace to anchor it.............

You may just have to Google a photo of the way one is mounted as I do not have a manual for the '66 383. I thought that the top of the pump was anchored via a long bolt through to the cylinder head. Been a while since I owned one.

I think you will find that this wiggling is normal. We fought those brackets on our race cars. I don't remember what the cure was but I think I welded the brackets together.

I seem to remember that there was a reason the they seemed loose but I just cant recall why.

I just took it to a guy who restores old MOPARS and he mentioned there is a piece of a hard rubber that is wedged between the two pieces in the bracket. Mine is pretty much rotted away but he also mentioned that a reasoning behind this way of mounting was to "compensate" for when I make turns........by allowing this bracket to work like this it helped to relieve the "stress" on the pump when making a complete turn because it allowed for the pump to adjust and then return when the steering wheel came back to center. It kind of made sense considering the technology of those days. He did also mention that those types of brackets didn't last long though and were secured more to the block a few years later. The pump is pretty much straight and not out of alignment so I don't think it's something i'm gonna worry about at this point.