Cheap fix for vacuum wipers that work for me

Marvel Mystery Oil. MMO has been around for a long time (80 years +). I have a 1931 Chilton's interchange manual that mentions it. In spite of that, it has only become available in Canada recently. May not be available in England.

Glycerine works well for this job. Should be available from your local pharmacist - it is here. Also a diabetic syringe. No prescription needed. :) Position the wiper at one end of its stroke and inject one cc of glycerine into the vacuum connection. Work the wiper pivot back and forth a few times, stopping at the other end of the stroke and repeat. Leave it for 24-48 hours. With luck, it should work properly.

Terry

Ken, I have a 1933 Studebaker Rockne that I just finished restoring to original. My only wiper does not work, when the car is running I don't seem to have any vacuum. I believe that my exhaust manifold is leaking because I can smell exhaust in the cabin when driving it. With the manifold leaking would that be why I cannot get any vacuum, I have to remove it and have it ground flat. I use MMO in my fuel, about 4oz. to every tank full. That is what an old Studebaker mechanic told me to do and then I don't have to use a lead additive or put in hardened valve guides.

Guest buickkuhn
Marvel Mystery Oil Never use WD40 in your wipers
I too have added to my vacuum wiper motor , but used "air tool oil " for air impact tools - lubes the seals and don't dry them out . This trick also works on 90's dodge truck front end 4wd actuator because it is a diaphragm unit .

Ken, I have a 1933 Studebaker Rockne that I just finished restoring to original. My only wiper does not work, when the car is running I don't seem to have any vacuum. I believe that my exhaust manifold is leaking because I can smell exhaust in the cabin when driving it. With the manifold leaking would that be why I cannot get any vacuum, I have to remove it and have it ground flat. I use MMO in my fuel, about 4oz. to every tank full. That is what an old Studebaker mechanic told me to do and then I don't have to use a lead additive or put in hardened valve guides.

If the exhaust manifold is leaking, you should be able to hear some noise, but that won't affect your vacuum. A leak at the intake manifold would. Get a vacuum gauge and put it on the manifold fitting for the wipers. If you get a good reading, the problem is either a plugged vacuum line to the wiper or the wiper motor needs servicing.

Terry

The knocking noise might be the fibre timing gear. Mine did that and one trip when I was 200 miles from home it dropped a couple of teeth. I managed to get a 2nd hand replacement (it was a holiday weekend too) and changed it on the side of the road. Luckily I was in Christchurch on a quiet suburban street (although the cross fall was horrendous). It was a tough weekend. I didn't know Christchurch, knew nobody, it was long before cell phones and I walked for miles.

Mine knocked quietly at idle too. Get your mechanic's stethoscope (long screwdriver) and listen around the front cover (mind the fan).

When I overhauled the engine later, the rebuilder said the second hand gear was better than the new one I bought for the job and refitted it. Hmmm.

My 39 does not knock at idle. Only when warm up and on a load like going up a steep hill. It does not sound like a main bearing knock. It not a heavy knock. I did find a 1950 engine six cylinder I wonder if it the same and will fit in my 39. If so I will rebuild it. First I got to do my home work on this engine that in the 39.

Maybe the 1950 engine is a Commander, 245 cu. in. if it looks like your 226 cu. in. '39 engine. The water pump will look different, but the block and head will be very similar. The bore is the same, the stroke is longer. If it is not that big, it is a Champion engine. Mine has a 4E series truck engine in it - very similar to the 1950 Commander engine.

BTW, did you look inside the O.D. before installing it? The planetary gear needle bearings and the sun gear carrier are prone to wear.

Big end knock?

Dictator27, when you say Glycerine, is there a certain type? I have just looked on ebay.co.uk and it states vegetable Glycerine or Glycerine for fondant icing, is this the stuff?

Wayne

:confused: Now you've got me! I don't know. Whatever was available from my local drug store. As long as it said glycerine on the label I've never looked closely at it and don't have one here to check at the moment. Don't think that would include fondant icing, though. :)

Terry