1939 Buick century series 60 clutch/transmission issue?

Guest bujumbura

Guest bujumbura

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a little issue I'm having. I own a 1939 Buick century series 60 that has been running and driving great over this past summer. I haven't drove it in the past 3 months or so and now after I start it and try to put it in gear it seems like the clutch doesn't disengage in order for the lever to move into gear. If I try to force the shifter I get grinding noises. I can move the shifter through gears just fine with the car not running and If I place the transmission in gear and then try to start it, the car is taking off.

I have moved the clutch linkage adjustments nuts in both directions about half inch and still nothing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Edited by bujumbura (see edit history)

Guest bujumbura

Thanks for the info. I actually searched this forum for this issue and I came up with either jacking the back wheels, starting the car in gear, bringing it up to speed and slamming on the breaks or keeping the clutch pedal pressed and try inserting a thin blade between the flywheel and the disk. I can't try any of them until I get home but I'd appreciate any other ideas

Edited by bujumbura (see edit history)

The easiest and best way is to......... 1. block the clutch pedal down. 2. Get under the car and remove the clutch cover/pan. 3. Work a thin tool, I use a kitchen spatula, between the clutch disc and flywheel and pressure plate. You may have to rotate the clutch and work around the circumference. It usually takes just few pokes until you hear the "click" or "snap" of the clutch breaking free. In the future block the pedal down if you are not going to use it in a few weeks. Most of my cars can sit for months and not freeze up. I had a 49 Chevy that would stick every time in a week.................Bob

Guest bujumbura

Thank you Bob. I spent about 4 hours yesterday on by back and I haven't noticed any clutch cover or pan other than where the fork connects to the clutch pedal linkage. I did a search and there might be one on the top of the bell housing that might be accessible through a panel under the carpet. I wasn't able to remove any bolts that were holding it down yesterday...

Can't wait to try a few of these methods. Thanks again

I once bought a Model A Ford that had been stored for about a decade that had this same problem. I had good luck with the Model A by jacking up the rear end and putting the car on jack stands, starting the car up in 3rd gear, running it for a couple of minutes at about 20 mph or so on the speedometer, depressing the clutch pedal and then applying the brakes. That broke it loose and I never had another problem with it.

Guest bujumbura

That is probably going to be the first thing I try after I get off work today. I'm surprised to find out how common this issue is. Never happened to me before on any other manual transmission car.

Thank you very much Matt.

Guest bujumbura

Jacking the back of the car up, starting it in gear and pressing the clutch and the break pedal worked great!

Thank you very much guys!