Got a live one on the line

uh6077

A while ago I put a post in the buy/sell forum looking for bumpers for my 41 Desoto. Only response I got was an email from someone that said he had a nice set for $300. The emails have been going back and forth for about 2 months.

Do you take Pyapal= No, money gram only because my paypal isn't working.

Can you send me some pictures = No, I am too old to know how to work a digital camera.

I will send you some pics and tell me if they are the same = yep, exact same bumpers.

What is your user name on the aaca forum = I don't remember because of my age.

The best was today when he sent me this reply, word for word exactly the same as he sent me last month. Guess he forgot that he sent me this one already.

"I do understand your concern and I also would be careful when buying

any item sight unseen, but i'm just a retired God-fearing man of over

65yrs of age and I have been honest and sincere in all my financial

dealings and life endeavors. I will never rip-off your hard earned

money as I work hard for every penny I earn.

I would have loved to take PayPal but my PayPal account is currently

dormant. You have nothing to worry about as Money gram is very strict

and very secure. I would need to tender a recently paid utility bill

and a valid id card both bearing my home address so payments can be

traced if anything goes wrong."

I am sure he thinks he has a sure thing going. Little does he know that I get a kick out ofessing with scammers. Hopefully he will go for it so I can send him a "nice" envelope to let him know how much I appreciate him. Is it illegal to mail a cat turd?

Edited by uh6077 (see edit history)

uh6077,

If this scammer is using the AACA email system, please provide me with his forum user name. With that information, I can ban him from the Forum. If he is not registered on the forum, there is not anything that the moderators can do to help.

Tell him you will send a US POSTAL MONEY ORDER only, because it protects him and you because it becomes mail fraud and a federal offence if he does not send it. See how he squirms out of that, or ask him where he lives and tell him you have a friend near buy who will come buy and pay him and pick them up.

Keep him going, ask him if he has any other parts.

Remember the days when this really never happened and everything was done on the phone and we mailed checks?

Not giving me his user name was the biggest red flag. If someone here has maybe a hundred posts then I would assume they were actual car guys and would be less likely to screw me (not unheard of though). If nothing else at least I would have a user name to warn others about.

uh6077,

With the email address you gave me I was able to find his IP address through a Google search which revealed some other sites that he has been identified on as a scammer. I was then able to search for forum users with the same IP address and have identified him. He has been banned.

Guest AlCapone
Tell him you will send a US POSTAL MONEY ORDER only, because it protects him and you because it becomes mail fraud and a federal offence if he does not send it. See how he squirms out of that, or ask him where he lives and tell him you have a friend near buy who will come buy and pay him and pick them up.

Keep him going, ask him if he has any other parts.

Remember the days when this really never happened and everything was done on the phone and we mailed checks?[/quoteuitable.

Those were the days my friend ! Often parts were exchanged and paid for once they were deemed suitable !

Unfortunately a few ruined it for the rest of us.

Wayne

It still happens, but rarely. Just this summer we won a contest so the news came to the house and threw us a BBQ party for the neighborhood. I wanted to get a copy of the newscast rather than just have it on DVR. Called their audio video dept and they said they would take a day to cut it down to just our segment then mail me a copy. "The invoice will be int he box, just pay when you can". What??? Talk about a blast from the past. The same thing has happened a few times when buying MGB parts off the MG forum. They mail the parts and then take payment after everything has been checked out. There are still trusting people in the world only because there are still honest people in the world. They both rely on each other and it only takes one jerk to make a dozen trusting people disappear into their cynical cave never to be seen again.