Carpet Kits

Guest MontyD

Question about carpet kits that are available from Amazon: I'm looking at one from a company called ACC for $189.89. Have any of you had any experience with these, and are they worth the price? I saw it here - http://www.amazon.com/Buick-Riviera-Carpet-Replacement-570-Gold/dp/B006K35S9O/ref=sr_1_15?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1414442826&sr=1-15&keywords=1966+Buick+carpet

(Soon I'll be asking about changing interior color schemes from the original.)

Thanks. Monty

post-104050-143142802342_thumb.jpg

Edited by MontyD
forgot something (see edit history)

I can't help u with an opinion on that specific carpet kit. But I can say I was just looking at carpet kits today on the Clark's Corvair website. Everyone here seems to vouch for the quality of Clark's products. So that's good enough for me.

Clarks sells both "molded" & "cut & sewn" kits both with the padding already attached. Their description says the molded kit fits better over the center hump. But it also says the "cut & sewn" kit is better overall, it costs less than the molded kit & includes extra material for my door & kick panels. That's the one I will be ordering.

I am not ready for my carpet kit but I will send off for their free samples tomorrow.

Hope this helps

David

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

Clarks only provides carpet kits for the 1st generation cars; the link to Amazon is for 2nd generation cars.

Custom Auto Carpets is another vendor you might look at. Have you asked your local upholstery shop what they would charge to carpet your car?

The same kit sold on Amazon for $189.89 sells on ACC's website for $320.09

http://www.accmats.com/ with generic installation demo video

I bought an ACC kit from Rock Auto for about the same price. The color and weave were dead on to the original. I thought it was a very nice kit. It fit well. I bought the kit with the backing and it was difficult to trim out the holes. It was marked where to trim where it meets the console.

2014-03-23153037_zpsf01d908e.jpg

2014-03-23153133_zps875f99ed.jpg

2014-03-23153053_zps42d313db.jpg

2014-03-31122313_zpsa6d96e60.jpg

2014-03-31122417_zps0d001b61.jpg

Kaber

hey Monty! Get on Ebaymotors, go to the classic car section, and search Buick Riviera. Just about every year Riv is usually being auctioned at any one time, or at least representative examples from each generation. With all the detailed photos it's a great place to familiarize yourself with the different models and get an idea of the current market, although I'm not sure how accurate one would consider that. Nevertheless, the photo spreads on several concourse 65's being auctioned have been a great help to me in sorting out my interior and engine bay, which had both been altered by a previous owner. With such good reference material and plenty of help from the wise men of this forum, I've been able to return my Riv to it's pre-altered glory. Good Luck,

Drew

Only the BCA, AACA, and some other clubs "count off" for non originality. At the ROA meets, the cars are peer judged. Everyone who is registered as a member or guest is given a ballot. Some guys are well educated on one particular generation of car, others are Jacks of all trades, masters of none. Some don't know how to tell one year from another. Your car will not be "judged." It gets looked at and compared to others. Something on one car will make it more preferable than the one next to it.* As long as it doesn't meet the criteria for a modified or custom, lots of things are not "stock" on the original cars. So do your engine compartment the way you like. It's your car, you drive it, you need to live with it. At an ROA meet, a car is considered a Modified if the things that are not stock can be changed back to stock with a set of hand tools and not too much time.

If the engine in your car sparkles with the correct paint and accessories, the firewall and inner fenders, if painted a satin black, will help the engine stand out against the black. If everything is the same color, sometimes everything just blends together unless you have a lot of aftermarket bling on the engine.

The best way for you to decide what you want your engine bay to look like is to go to one of the ROA annual events and see for yourself. Go to the link in my signature to get to the ROA's website and you'll find information on hotel reservations.

Ed

* At Eureka Springs, AR in 2005, my wife voted for a very nice 1964 in the 63 - 65 class. I told here that in 1964, Rivieras did not come with the Buick rally wheels. Her comment was "I don't care, I like the color of this car and I'm voting for it." Painting your engine bay the way you like it may even get you a vote at the ROA meets where it would cost you points at a BCA meet. Your choice.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)