Antique Studebaker car parts cross-reference

ken1007

Is there any published cross reference for antique Studebaker parts? I've started restoration of 1935 Dictator and see references to "fits Studebaker" which appear suspect, especially when "no returns" is specified. Post war Studebakers have many well documented cross referenced to many cars. Ken, Deltaville, Va

No there is no definitive cross reference provided by Studebaker. There is very little on a '35 Studebaker that will interchange with any other makes. A Studebaker Master parts book will tell you what other Studebaker models the parts will fit. Might be of value for you to sate exactly what items you are looking for.

No there is no definitive cross reference provided by Studebaker. There is very little on a '35 Studebaker that will interchange with any other makes. A Studebaker Master parts book will tell you what other Studebaker models the parts will fit. Might be of value for you to sate exactly what items you are looking for.

Thanks, I do have the master and an original 1935 parts book thus the problem is not so much matching the part to another Studebaker, it's knowing whether or not, for example, a Hudson headlight lens really fits a Studebaker. That lens recently appeared on Ebay as "Fits Studebaker" but it does not fit the 35 Dictator. The post war Studebaker cross reference covers this for hundred of parts. It's so bad on Ebay search, that "-fits" was used on advanced search, but "fits" still get through and so far it is wrong. In the meantime the parts search continues. Ken

eBay ain't the eBay it used to be. They let many sellers get away with "fits" when we all know it won't.

For your own protection, write the seller with a question something like "will you guarantee that this part will fit

my 1935 Studebaker Dictator"?. If they answer, (they won't) in the affirmative, then you have recourse to return

the part and get your money back, and also to hit them with a bad review. I would never NEVER order a part from

eBay unless it was specifically for my car.

Yes, there are many things that "fit" Studebaker. I posted this image before, but it epitomizes the companies that post "fits". I usually do my searches with "-fits" and "auctions only". That cuts out more than 90% of the listings.

post-47871-143142803732_thumb.jpg

Best deal is to join the Antique Studebaker Club and network with people who actually own the cars. For the most part they will know what if it will "fit." Do not buy any of the Ebay junk unless you can see from the posted images that the item is correct for your car. I have the largest collection of Studebaker literature and memorabilia in the universe and can generally answer most any specific question re esp pre WWII models.

Thanks to all for input; "fits" in Ebay context is quickly becoming one of those "four letter words" not suited for polite company. After nearly 20 years of restoring post war Studes, I now have a 35 Dictator that the previous owner started and gave up on. Scarcity of parts drove him away. As of 10-28-14 here follows missing parts: 1. rear view mirror 2. Window runs all 4 doors 3. headlight lens (2) 4. tail light lens (has an ill-fit Ford lens) 5. air cleaner 6. gas, clutch, brake pedal w/Studebaker embossed 7. Window wiper control(1) with blades and arm (2) 7. bottom part of trunk latch (2). This list will grow as it is only a few weeks into project.

Would like to talk to anyone familiar with fabric roof restoration including correct position of bows and type of material used for the headliner. I restore to original, but will consider known interchangeable parts. Ken Deltaville Va

Good point BB. Yes, there are still Hollander manuals available on eBay- one "classic" is $69 but in the extensive list at the bottom of it's listing, I don't see 1935 Dictator included. It is the last left of three by this seller, but you might be able to contact the seller and inquire if the listing has accidentally left out your car. I have a Hollander and it isn't called a "classic" and Dictator's are part if it. ???

I recommend a thorough review of eBay listings (mine was not) and be sure you are getting something that will work for you. In addition, I think it is pretty hard to wade through the Hollander to find something that cross fits.