Windshield top stainless removal

Guest Bob Barrow

Guest Bob Barrow

I took my TC in to have a windshield installed and commented that they did not know how to remove the top stainless moulding.I remember reading in this forum some time ago that there was a trick or some hidden screws to remove. Does anybody have any info that could help me and the installer? Thanks------ Bob

No special TC advice, this is convertible generic. Except for having a real trim removal tools I don't know about any tricks for taking the top stainless off. The T shaped multi function trim removal tool is better than nothing, haven't seen the real deal sold anyplace in years.

I do know where these trim clips go and you might want to grab them while you can cause odds are you're going to break a few by the time you get all the trim off. You can put the trim back on if you don't break all of them, but there is no going back to add them after the glass goes in, so it's have a couple of spares in hand, or be ready to silicone and tape. The worst thing you can find while removing this type of trim is that you're not the first to do this and that black stuff holding the trim in place isn't silicone.

Kind of an after thought here as I edit the post and that is swing by a dealership and look at the illustrated parts breakdown. The parts book won't tell you how to do anything, but knowing what things look like and where they go can give you some idea of how to do what needs to be done.

Edited by Digger914 (see edit history)

1 4463 667 1 MOULDING, Center

2 4463 668-9 1 MOULDING, Side

3 4463 670-1 1 BUTT STRAP

4 4463 156 1 MOULDING, W/Shield, Upr.

5 4454 976-7 1 MOULDING, W/Shield Pillar, Inner

6-7 4463 164-5 1 MOULDING, Windshield

- 6004 036 AR RETAINER

there is NO retainer shown for the upper molding so I assume it's glued down

Finally went into the garage and opened up some parts and the top stainless steel piece that the top comes down on is held down by 5 screws. There are 2 screw holes on each end where the pull down is and you can see the screw heads. The last screw is in the middle of the stainless and you cannot see the screw head as it is underneath the plastic trim piece that runs across the top of the windshield between the pull downs. I don't know how the trim piece comes off. Hope this helps.

You need a trim hook to remove vertical stainless, carefully lift edge trim glass side, trim release is on pillar side and these are plastic so they break easily. The big piece on top slides forward to remove and lifts in the rear. Haven't worked on a convertible with stainless over the windshield where you didn't have to remove visors and inside trim to release the bright work and if removing the screws you can see doesn't get this piece to slide forward you will need to pull inside trim.

Haven't done this on a TC and the visible screws might be all you need to remove. Being hand built you might not have to pull inside trim to remove bright work, as most don't have visible screws. Or these visible screws might be the ones that hold inside trim.

Edited by Digger914 (see edit history)

The clips are for the stainless molding that runs down each side of the windshield. I had to purchase a box of clips to get the six that I needed. I'll be glad to share them with you. I have your address now and will get them in tomorrow's mail.