Road Wheels with Scarebird disc brakes?

cool57

Guest cbreit01

I have the Scarebird Disc Brake conversion with a 3" Jamco shortened springs. No issues. Just use all of the parts that Scarebird recommends and you should be okay. LOVE the disc brakes!

I have the Scarebird Disc Brake conversion with a 3" Jamco shortened springs. No issues. Just use all of the parts that Scarebird recommends and you should be okay. LOVE the disc brakes!

Thanks! Just to be clear-you are running the factory chrome​ wheels?

Call Scarebird and see what they say about it. See if they designed the kit and suggested parts to work with stock wheels.

What you also need to be aware of is that the stock "rally" wheels come in about 5 different configurations. When Buick first offered disk brakes back in '66, they redesigned the wheel to work with disk brakes. Before taking the next step, look at the inside rim of your wheels and compare the code number to the codes listed on the ROA's website in the Tech Tips section. See if the wheels you have are designed by Buick to work with disk brakes. Chances are the wheels designed for disk brakes will work, but any others won't.

I would venture to say that if you're running stock rims and there's no interference with the disk brake setup, then Cool57 (name unknown) should be able to run stock rally wheels with no problem.

Ed

Ed, my name is under my list of cars. :) I corresponded with Scarebird and was told I may need to slightly contour the calipers for clearance. I've done it on other cars without problems.

Sam

May be a little late to the party, but I'm running 15" Road wheels over the Scarebird conversion with no issues at all. I believe the caliper is a Cadillac and the rotor is from a early '70's Riviera. But I'll have to get the paperwork out to verify. Scarebird will have a parts list though as you already know. I do have to say, their formula for resetting the toe-in did not work on my '65 Riviera. No big deal though. Good Luck..

You're going to want to get it aligned anyway. Take it to the alignment shop, have them set everything to specs, then add as much positive camber as the can. Get it to at least 1 or 2 degrees positive. The old specs are for bias tires. I don't think you'll need to disassemble the front suspenstion to install the brackets and other brake hardware. I have the paper work from Scarebird for the conversion and I don't remember them saying anything about alignment. ??????

Ed