Need help starting a Porsche 968

yirgaman

I am trying to help my daughter-in-law who has a 1992 Porsche 968 that has been sitting in storage for a year (was her Dad's car). It came to our house on a wrecker because the battery is dead, I've charged the battery and the gas in the tank did not smell bad, but was very low according to the fuel gauge so I added 5 gallons of gas to the tank. The problem I have is the car alarm. every time I put the key into the ignition , the car alarm goes off and flashes the lights and blows the horn for probably 3 minutes or more while I'm turning over the engine trying to get it started. what is the proper sequence I should use to start this thing without the alarm going off or else how can I turn it off once it starts? BY the time the engine starts to cough, the battery is run down again. I've turned the key off and on, pushed in on the clutch, and any other thing I can think of, but nothing works to stop the alarm, except disconnecting the battery cable. When I re-connect it - the alarm picks right back up again. I don't know anything about Porsches (obvious). All I want to do is move it into the garage, about 30 feet uphill

Larry

Is the alarm system a factory alarm, or an aftermarket? If it is an aftermarket, I would remove every part of the alarm and fix all of the wires where the alarm was connected. In that era, aftermarket alarm companies typically used "scotch-lock" connections that cut wire strands, and had lots of other problems.

This is from an experience of buying a car that had one of the alarms on it and it had tons of electrical gremlins. Removed all of the alarm parts, fixed the wires and never had another electrical problem with the car.

thanks for your suggestion, but as far as I can tell this is the factory alarm. I managed to poke around on the internet long enough to find an owners manual online, which explains the alarm and what triggers it and how to enable and disable the system. Now I have to wait until daylight before I try it again. There is an off switch - It also let me see that the hood, trunk, glove box and doors will each trigger the alarm, which will run for 4 minutes. It's kind of hard to concentrate with the horn blowing full blast and all the lights blinking. I was afraid someone was going to call the cops and report me as a nuisance. I just hope now that the fuel line is not plugged or some other goofy problem, although spinning the engine around was good so as to pump oil all through the engine before it finally starts.

larry

I'm not an expert on these cars but you might try putting the key in the door and unlocking it there before using it to try to start the car. I don't know if this will help, but that was about the time when auto makers were playing with smart chips in the keys themselves and if you don't tell the computer that you're using the right key, it goes crazy. Try locking the car, then unlocking it using the key, then starting it. Make sure it's the original key, too, and not one that was cut at the hardware store or something. Most cars will deactivate the alarm if you get the ignition on, but I can see Porsche being a little different about it just to be difficult--they seem to like that.

Good luck!