top end oiler pictures

Guest buickkuhn

Guest buickkuhn

I am wondering about helping my 41 buick straight eight out with one of these top end oilers , used back in the day with marvel mystery oil (mmo) along with other products . I am rebuilding the engine this winter and when it goes back together I am thinking additional protection . If you have one that you have on your vehicle and use or don't use please explain why and pictures please . Thank you . !B(8(Biw!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DcEkJw2KwwWBKe3yd0kj!~~_1.GIF

Interesting thread:

Most brass era car drivers add MMO or 2 stroke oil directly into the fuel tank when refilling. I carry little airline booze bottles with MMO and add one for every 10 gallons of gas. This is even more important if real gas is not available because ethanol provides even less lubrication than real gasoline.

Guest buickkuhn
Interesting thread:

Most brass era car drivers add MMO or 2 stroke oil directly into the fuel tank when refilling. I carry little airline booze bottles with MMO and add one for every 10 gallons of gas. This is even more important if real gas is not available because ethanol provides even less lubrication than real gasoline.

If running that to the gas do you still use lead additive ? The more I figure out while rebuilding the motor - the better off I am going to be .

Guest cccapt42

After following the link to Judson register I am almost convinced that this was meant for supercharged cars only. Without the increased compression afforded by the supercharger I would think you risk fouling plugs and having an engine that blows smoke out the exhaust. You will not need a lead additive due to the low compression ratio of this engine. My advice is to use non ethanol gas. Your buick engine is a fine piece of equipment and this would be detrimental. Les

Just remember that engine oil before WWII was not the same oil we use today. Huge developments have been made and modern oil has all the additives needed to keep modern engines running for thousands of miles.

You could probably use recycles oil today and it would be better for your engine than the oil available when the car was built.

The ongoing discussion about Zinc in oil turn up everytime someone checks their dipstick. You could read articles on the internet for the rest of the week written by experts on this subject. Use whatever you feel good about.

Guest buickkuhn

General maintenance and love makes the vehicle run great , this is what I tell my daughters . Try to plant that in their heads before they even get a vehicle .

Before you decide to add the Marvel Mystery Oiler inverse oiler to your engine, it may be worth your time to read the numerous posts about MMO on the website Bobistheoilguy.com, where the product has been discussed ad infinitum by some very knowledgeable people. Not saying the the use of MMO today is either bad or good, as I've used it myself. But there is a wide range of opinions about it from excellent to not recommended. So many varying opinions that you will have to make your own decision whether to "yes" or "no."

Re the lead additive. When I did the engine on my '41 Roadmaster 3-4 years ago I discussed this with the machinist, a very experienced guy, and well known in our area for doing top notch work, as to adding hardened seats so as to avoid issues with the lead free gas. He said he would check the hardness of the casting, as some types are hard enough, and do not require inserts, and some types of cast are softer and therefore do. He prefers to do it this way so as to avoid cutting a head that does not need it. After checking it out, his recomendation was that the Buick head was a very good casting and did not need hardened valve seat inserts and will give good service with the lead free gas, and no additive needed.

Also, after doing some research, I found that the head can be planed down about .120 thou., about 1/8 in., to raise the compression but we choose to take about .050, so that there is ample remaining if the head needs work in the future. I don't know if you have this in mind, or not, but the extra compression will give you a bit more performance. If you did something like this, you will likely have to shim the rocker shaft up, so that you can get proper valve lash clearance.

This is how I built mine, and I've put nearly 4,000 miles on it and so far, so good.

Keith

Guest buickkuhn

Thank you for the straight forward information . I am going to be working with my machine people around me that I have used for racing applications years past - so the more I know to tell them the better knowledge there going to have going into it .