'37 120 Spare Tire Conundrum

packick

I have a 1937 120 Convertible Coupe and have had for years. For all of those years I have had a 650x16 spare tire in the trunk. The tires on the car are the correct 700x16 bias ply tires. I have now purchased a new set of tires, 700x16 bias ply, and was wanting to use one of my old tires as the new spare. At least that was the plan.

When I tried to place the old 700x16 tire in the trunk is doesn't fit! It is too thick. Is there a trick to getting it into the trunk (other than deflation)? Were the 700x16 tires on the old days thinner? I have heard other owners of this model have had the same issue.

I talked to the guy at the tire shop who mounted my new tires today. He said that especially with bias ply tires the manufacturing process produces tires of various thicknesses, even though they are the same tire size. If you lay the tires side-by-side they will vary in thickness. He said with radials the manufacturing process is pretty consistent.

Any comments about this theory?

I would be curious what the difference in width or depth is between your old and new tires. I could see a big difference radial vs bias but unless the new 700s are a one size fits all type thing I wouldn't think there should be so much variation in bias tires. I had been leaning towards a certain tire for my 47 but must admit I hadn't considered the spare tire well as an issue. The tire I was thinking about is sort of a one size fits several replacement so based on your experience the idea of using that tire may need a rethink.

Unfortunately my old tires are history so I can't measure them. Several people in my club have mentioned that they had trouble putting their old 700x16 tires in their wheel wells to be used side mount spares. So it is not only the trunk where this happens. I am not sure what you mean by a "one size fits all" tire.

Diamondback sells a radial tire which is supposed to be close in dimension and profile to bias so as to be almost undetectable as being a radial. They advertise it as a replacement for 700, 800 and 820-15s of the pre-48 era and is why I used the one size fits all phrase to describe it.

Baloney. Tires are vulcanized in a closed and pressurized mold so they really can't vary in size.

This would be the case if everyone were using the same mold but obviously they aren't so the different molds being wider are to blame for the different widths rather than the molding pressure or the way it's molded.

Guest 1937packard

The 700 16 does not fit. I laughed when I read your post as I got caught 25 yrs. ago with a new set of Denmans. If you take the support brace off under the rumble seat lower cushion it will fit and the cushion will sit on the tire no problem. Mine has been like this for years now.