What would be the coolant capacity and washers in my hoses of my '36 Zephyr?

John_Mc

Guys the coolant inn my new Zephyr is a rusty mess, what is the coolant capacity of these??

Also, found two washers inside my hoses, is this some attempt at slowing down the water and avoiding the use of a thermostat???

My '41 reference book says 27 quarts, which is about what I put in it. That's about 4 gallons of antifreeze. You should flush it first. The washers are probably a cheap alternative to the in-hose thermostats that are a little hard to come by. Boos-Herrell and possibly other parts sources have them.

About 3 gallons coolant..then top off with water...loose those washers..dont worry about stats unless you are driving with a hot water heater in the winter...stats are are for one reason, to increase the engine temp...try it, you will see..many opinions about this ....If you think your oil pressure is low now, put some stats in...

heavy full detergent oil, 15-40, and high volume oil pump will help pressure, but these engines dont age very well, if you are gonna drive much..pull it and have it rebuilt with solid guides and straight valves...Try the search function on this sight or just google it, google searches this site very well..Many folks restore these cars to be pretty, trophy queens, but dont actually drive em, ( they cant lower tops or see rain)..If that is your intention then skip the above..but a properly rebuilt v-12 is a sweet smooth power plant...vs a smokin oil pig that fouls plugs and stinks to high heaven belching from the oil filler..at least try the pump when you pull the pan and fix your oilfloat. I am obviously opinionated, as I love to drive!! I have one old car and like to actually use it

Thanks once again, on the HD oil pump option, I will look into them. Yes, I intend to drive this car everywhere I can. The oil leak and lowpressure are very concerning so your help in most welcome.

BTW, Your MSSR, what does that mean and is your name Jeff?? Thanks again.

Guys, I found out that the cooling system calls for 22.5 capacity so as you suggested, I'll go with 3 gallons of coolant and then top off with water. Now on to that oil leak.............:-(