New Zephyr delivered, but I'm concerned about oil pressure?

John_Mc

Guy my new '37 Zephyr was delivered today and I love it, but I am concerned about oil pressure when warm. Even at 1,000 or more I get barely 10 lbs. according to the dash gauge. So, first off should I be concerned and secondly, where is a port on the engine where I can connest an oil pressure gauge and see what it's really putting out/ Oh, lastly, straight 30 W right??

Guy my new '37 Zephyr was delivered today and I love it, but I am concerned about oil pressure when warm. Even at 1,000 or more I get barely 10 lbs. according to the dash gauge. So, first off should I be concerned and secondly, where is a port on the engine where I can connest an oil pressure gauge and see what it's really putting out/ Oh, lastly, straight 30 W right??

No, don't follow the owners manual. It's a new world, oil-wise. Try Mobil 1 15-50 or Castrol Edge 5W-50. If you still have low oil pressure, Melling makes a high capacity oil pump that will get it up there. There has also been a lot of discussion over the years about the value of ZDP, a zinc additive that helps cushion the lifters, that you can search the posts on. Also look for Dee Peecher's posts on oil pressure issues. Dee knows more about HV12 lubrication than anyone on the planet.

I put in a tee where the oil sender screws in and installed a modern pressure gauge because I wasn't sure I could trust the stock gauge but they read the same.

You guys are terrefic, thanks! Where on the engine is the oil pressure port?? In the center of the Intake? I see two ports there, is one for temp and one for oil pressure? Please forgive me with all the basic questions, I now have a shop manual and that should help.

The oil pressure port is at the rear of the left bank of cylinders and the temperature sender unit is at the front of the left cylinder head near the radiator hose connection. The 2 ports on the intake are vacuum sources for the wipers (rear port) and the vacuum brake for the distributor (front port).