Founders Tour day 5

Bob Giles

One word that I can use is DELAYED.

............... It is a learned talent.

No doubt! I walked up near our keyboardist and you could "feel" the music being a little late on each keystroke. He was very busy with a large amount of keys, food pedals, and what I can only call "pull knobs". At one time it looked like he was "walking" the foot pedals at a fast pace. I hope they get the complete pipe system repaired in my lifetime, as I can not imagine how overwhelming the sound will be at "100%". It's only at about "20%" now.

Wayne

When our organist serenaded us with "VICTORY AT SEA", the mood was overwhelming. You could easily imagine the ocean rising and tossing huge warships!

It is amazing to learn that this organ was designed as the most powerful in the world, that it was destroyed during a 1944 hurricane, that it is in the process of being restored by dedicated volunteers (including our own Chuck Gibson), that only about 20% of it is currently functional, and that the next phase of its restoration will require raising donations of an an additional $14 Million. Being allowed to walk through the rooms of wooden and metal organ pipes of incredible size was an experience any musician would find fascinating. While performing for the State Teachers' Convention with the New Jersey All-State Band in that very building during 1956-1959 (then called the Atlantic City Convention Center), I remember learning just a bit about the organ which was then inoperable as a result of storm damage.