40 Dodge Steering Wheel Material

40mopar

Can someone tell me what material 40 Mopar steering wheels are made of? I just finished sanding what remained of the paint on mine and the black material underneath almost seems like some kind of rubber. It disolves in grease remover and in denatured alcohol.

What would be the best thing to used to repaint it? Regular spray paint, spray-on vinyl, or spray-on plastic?

Thanks

Most plastics of the era are bakelite its a hard black plastic, if it rubbery, some chemicals must have attacked it and left it in a soft state. I have yet to see any actual old steering wheels that are co-molded with a softer rubber like a modern one. Even through the 60's steering wheels are a hard plastic unless you have fancy clear resins involved.

you may just want to see how much of it can be removed until you get to the hard plastic. Or find a restoration shop that will give a recommendation. I would not recommend a full restoration of the steering wheel as a nice one can be found for much cheaper than the labor involved, you just need to know how to pull, and R&R your own.

I personally would just just clean it and maybe wrap it in a leather for the meantime, if the car is a driver.

Then keep a look out for parts car or the steering wheel on craigslist or ebay. If you see the steering wheel on a column or still in the car, make sure the seller knows how to remove a steering wheel. If it is already removed, get close up shots or ask if it was removed with a steering wheel puller and ask to see both sides.

I just bought a column for my 33 it had beautiful steering wheel with the buttons and all, the seller broke the bakelite and sawed the spokes, i was going to restore it, now i have to restore my own, atleast i get the buttons. I guess the wheel was not part of the deal in that case. Cant win them all.