Need input on automotive-oriented TV shows in 2014, please

lump

• <article>

I am trying to set up a restoration project for a TV celebrity, and would like to have it happen on a popular automotive TV show, showing the step-by-step total rebuild of a car. I had some things in the works for this last year...and then SPEED VISION went away, and the world of automotive TV shows has been going through some shake-ups ever since then.

Could you please tell me
    your
    favorite old-car-oriented TV show, in
    ? Thanks so much!

</article>

I have to say I enjoy "Bitchin' Rides." I expected more of the same-old, same-old when I saw Dave Kindig and his weird beard, but he doesn't yell at his employees, they don't seem to set unrealistic deadlines to create drama, and they don't often harp on "the flip." It's kind of refreshing that all the guys working there seem to like each other, they're very talented, and Dave Kindig seems like a genuinely nice guy. Now I don't care for most of the cars and extreme customs they build, but the craftsmanship and work that goes into them is equal to any restoration and that part I appreciate. It's more than just slapping a small block in there and ordering some parts from a catalog and calling it done.

I'll also admit to liking "Chasing Classic Cars" but for a different reason than most. Next time you watch it, note how wrong Wayne is on how much the cars will sell for. 70% of the time he's over-estimated a car's value, often by A LOT, then shrugs and goes home--it's not his money, right? As someone who is also in the business, I find this endlessly fascinating. Wayne seems to be everyone's favorite car guy, but he is wrong almost all the time when it comes to values. What does that mean? I don't know, but I find it amusing.

I've only seen "Restoration Garage" a few times, but it also looks promising. The Guild of Automotive Restorers is a quality shop up in Canada (near where my wife comes from) and if they can control the drama, it might be a rewarding show.

• <article>

To be clear, in
    this
    case, I am wanting to find an existing show which would be a good venue to show an individual project. Well-known car, well-known owner; car is REALLY rough. I already have full support of parts suppliers and highly-skilled labor for the build. Just trying to find a suitable TV show to present the project to. I'll be at SEMA in a week or two, meeting with various participants for this show, and was hoping to invite a TV producer to the meeting.
    Thanks
    SO
    much for any input you can offer!!

</article>

I cannot imagine any TV show producer being willing to actually show everything that goes into a restoration since that would likely take a couple of years' worth of shows to do and it would be as exciting as watching paint dry. TV show producers are under intense pressure to get a show in the can in a very short time and to introduce artificial drama such as the car has to be sold at an auction in three weeks and that will be the only auction for antique cars in the next 20 years so they cannot miss their deadline, and oh by the way one guy on the show will get into a fight with another guy on the show, and someone will make a killing off the deal even though the restoration costs when added to the purchase price of the project car will make it cost three times the actual value of the car.

Your idea is nice but I don't think there would be a large viewing audience other than the extreme collector fringe like you and me. I think that the closest we will see is Jay Leno's Garage where Jay does a decent job of making vintage cars interesting to a wider audience.

Guest buickkuhn
I cannot imagine any TV show producer being willing to actually show everything that goes into a restoration since that would likely take a couple of years' worth of shows to do and it would be as exciting as watching paint dry. TV show producers are under intense pressure to get a show in the can in a very short time and to introduce artificial drama such as the car has to be sold at an auction in three weeks and that will be the only auction for antique cars in the next 20 years so they cannot miss their deadline, and oh by the way one guy on the show will get into a fight with another guy on the show, and someone will make a killing off the deal even though the restoration costs when added to the purchase price of the project car will make it cost three times the actual value of the car.

Your idea is nice but I don't think there would be a large viewing audience other than the extreme collector fringe like you and me. I think that the closest we will see is Jay Leno's Garage where Jay does a decent job of making vintage cars interesting to a wider audience.

agree .

I am trying to think of what kind of car show on TV would get me to shut the computer off and sit in the living room for half an hour.

..... still thinking. I did a little work related stuff, checked my old car bank stash, looked at two forums.

I think I'll take a 3 mile walk along the canal and ponder the question "Is the car hobby really a spectator sport?"

When I get back I'm gonna get the '60 out and burn some of Monsanto's best.

I understand that decades ago it took as much as 10 times as many viewers to have a successful TV show than it does today. Math or mediocrity, who knows.

Maybe I'll think about math, as well... x sub 2 minus x sub 1 divided by y sub 2 minus y sub 1, that's a lot better than the TV show formula, even the country music song formula.

Bernie

So.. I don't care about celebrity so no names please but if the car project is exciting enough to film please give us a taste... Are we talking about a Chevy Vega or a Marmon 16. If you're gonna sell the story to tv it should be good - sell it to us. What is this phantom project?

I have to say I enjoy "Bitchin' Rides." I expected more of the same-old, same-old when I saw Dave Kindig and his weird beard, but he doesn't yell at his employees, they don't seem to set unrealistic deadlines to create drama, and they don't often harp on "the flip." It's kind of refreshing that all the guys working there seem to like each other, they're very talented, and Dave Kindig seems like a genuinely nice guy. Now I don't care for most of the cars and extreme customs they build, but the craftsmanship and work that goes into them is equal to any restoration and that part I appreciate. It's more than just slapping a small block in there and ordering some parts from a catalog and calling it done.

I'll also admit to liking "Chasing Classic Cars" but for a different reason than most. Next time you watch it, note how wrong Wayne is on how much the cars will sell for. 70% of the time he's over-estimated a car's value, often by A LOT, then shrugs and goes home--it's not his money, right? As someone who is also in the business, I find this endlessly fascinating. Wayne seems to be everyone's favorite car guy, but he is wrong almost all the time when it comes to values. What does that mean? I don't know, but I find it amusing.

I've only seen "Restoration Garage" a few times, but it also looks promising. The Guild of Automotive Restorers is a quality shop up in Canada (near where my wife comes from) and if they can control the drama, it might be a rewarding show.

Mat:

I agree with you 100% on Dave Kendig. I didn't think I would like his show, but the way the guys in his shop get along with each other and with him reminds me of some of the better shops I worked in. And they seem to do really nice work. A nice change from the "Orange County Choppers" and "Jessie Jame's Garage" type shows.

Don't agree with you about "Chasing Classic Cars" so much, it is fun watching Wayne at the auctions, especially when he says he will only go so much on a car then bids ten thousand higher, but I basically don't like the tone of the whole show. To me it seems that Wayne is saying "Look at me, I have so much money, and I buy and sell the most expensive and rare cars, and I pal around with all the rich guys in the business, don't you wish you were me?" I realize that jealousy may be causing my dislike, but I just can't relate to Wayne Carini.

Larry Fuller

Cars guys are so deeply ingrained in their hobby that there is little distinction between the concepts and the details at any given moment of their personal experience. To target them at their own level would be a feat that would have to go outside the media formula and typical character development approach of story telling.

In many instances human resources are bound by business regulations to hire people of certain qualifications. I am reminded of a story about an automotive museum, Since they were a registered non-profit museum they were required to hire "certified curators and preservationists" to handle the collection. A hobbyist walked into a conference room where a group was sorting historical automotive photographs. Conceptually the curators were associating the known and grasping at elusive details. The hobbyist picked up random pictures and recognized many of the scenes and pictures immediately.

In a media presentation I am pretty sure a producer is selected for producer skills first and car hobby second. And, knowing the limitations of good production, may produce with a bag of groceries having a higher priority than breaking the mold or meeting an unwritten expectation rather that taking a risk.

You know what they said about Harold Hill; "He doesn't know the territory!".

The image of these shows isn't so great. When a change comes it is going to come out of left field like a steam roller. The key is going to be seamlessly integrating the hobby concepts and details just like it happens in a car guy's head.

I did think about it a little on that 3 mile walk.

Bernie

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Just for the record let me say that, when car hobby tv shows first appeared, I was skeptical that many people would bother to watch them. Then when I saw shows featuring workers yelling at each and pranking, griping, etc, I was uninterested. However, I do have experience with clients advertising on car-hobby TV shows. Using unique phone numbers on commercials, we have been able to do at least some tracking of results. When one such show would air on a Sunday afternoon, my client would get between 4 to 6 hundred calls Monday morning on that unique line, asking for their catalogs. Then on Sundays when the show was pre-empted by sporting events or whatever, the following Monday morning phones were almost silent. We couldn't deny that viewers were watching the shows, noticing the ads, and responding. But that was on the SPEED VISION network, which went away last year. So now I'm trying to sift through a large number of other existing car-hobby TV shows, on various networks, to see if I can find another good one.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I am indeed a serious long-time antique car enthusiast myself. The oldest dash plaques I have from events I attended are dated 1958, when I was just a small child in my parents' rumble seat. I rode an antique car parade from my wedding to our reception, where my wedding present was a 1940 Ford coupe project car. I have a great deal of respect for the knowledge, craftsmanship, and car-passion of fellow car collectors. That's why I have come to you for input. Thanks again.

Guest Greene HD

Lump,

I would be interested in hearing more about your project. I am the producer of "Reality Rides" a series that is exactly as you described, a real car build show. If you have not seen it you should. We have had 2 full seasons air on Velocity (4th Qtr 2013, 1st Qtr 2014) and we garnered the highest ratings on Velocity in the past 13 months outside of prime time. We spend an entire season building a car, every nut and bolt comes off and then the viewers get to see it restored. In season 1 we built a 1955 Buick Special. Season 2 was a 1940 Dodge Command Car and a 1942 Lincoln Zephyr. The build on the Lincoln was concours level. Season 3 which is 80% complete is a hot rod season. S3 will air 1st Qtr. 2015. We also have two other car shows airing on Velocity.

Speed died because that strayed too far from their core audience and stopped broadcasting racing and instead showed truly horrible reality television. It killed the channel, Velocity picked up a few of the better shows. We have a unique relationship with Discovery, but none of this is cheap and the politics of broadcast are mind-numbing. But we are currently under discussions about Season 4 and what it will contain. If you actually have sponsored parts, sponsors, and skilled labor than I am open to discuss possibilities. The show would have to be shot at our facility/set here in Texas, our host "Carl" leads the build team.

Check out these links and you can find episodes connected. You can also pick up the full first season on DVD at any of the big box stores or off Amazon.

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reality-Rides/698284296855252

http://reality-rides.com

Production Co. Website:

http://www.greenehdtv.com

I hope Greene Productions is able to accomplish what this producer is describing. I am pretty much sick of the artificial silliness on everything that is on the air now including the unlikeability of many of the hosts ranging from nasty repair/restoration shop owners to car sharks buying and selling things for quick flip profit. If someone can put together a well done show I would be a watcher.

Guest Greene HD

Hi Kimo,

Please go watch the first season if you'd like over on our website www.reality-rides.com

I think you will enjoy the build. Our new season starts on January 3rd on Velocity. It's all real, no fake deadlines, no scripted drama, no BS. Think "This Old House" for cars.

I hope Greene Productions is able to accomplish what this producer is describing. I am pretty much sick of the artificial silliness on everything that is on the air now including the unlikeability of many of the hosts ranging from nasty repair/restoration shop owners to car sharks buying and selling things for quick flip profit. If someone can put together a well done show I would be a watcher.

Well said! The only time people will tolerate a nasty shop owner is because the price is cheap..... and we all know you get what you pay for and even less most of the time!

One thing I an sure others noticed also, how come these guys never have to let the paint dry or set up while they roll it out of the booth to put it together in 6 hours so they can meet the deadline? Or how come the chrome guy does not screw them either by loosing something, screwing it up, or taking too long? They never show the trim guy who has your interior when he goes on a drinking binge and does not show up to his shop for two weeks? I would not work for anyone who spoke to me the way these guys talk to their employees, or I if I did remain working (while looking for another job) for them they would never get their deadline met.

I still like Wayne Carini, I never really felt his display of wealth to be a turn off, If I had more money and better health I would even play a lot harder myself. He deals with rich people also, lets face it your none of us are going to leave a Ferrari with Bubba who lives in a trailer park to sell on consignment.

• 4 weeks later...
Right now we are in discussions with producers from two different TV shows. Hopefully something good will come out of all this. I will try to keep you updated.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Can you specify in your endeavor to not use loud music to the point where you can't hear what someone is saying. Etiquette, when I was running a shop if any of my guys acted the way some of these people do they would have been out the door in a flash. All this horseplay does is ramp up the new generation to act like disrespectful fools. It teaches young kids watching that this is the norm. Please have your show respect for others and the trade. On most of the shows on Velocity the R& Roll music is overpowering. If you want to hear what they are saying you have to turn the volume up, when they finish what they say the volume goes way up to the point of always having the remote to hit the mute button. The auctions on that channel are terrible in this way, first you have the music, then you have the host telling everyone about the car he had like the one on the block, and then the auctioneer, the most important person to hear who you can hardly hear over the R&Roll and the host.