Because nothing is ever easy . . . .

Guest perrymedik

Guest perrymedik

Still working on the ’49 Plymouth Special Deluxe (P-18). . . . . . .

Taking the recommendations to check out the condition of the Water Distributor Tube (WDT) I took off the water pump and reached in with a hooked implement to pull it out just like the Service Manual shows.

No dice. Not a budge. Not a little. Well, the hook unbent. That was cool.

So a few questions:

1. When looking down the length of the WDT, should it be uniform in width the entire way down? Mine bows in on the right hand side about 2ish inches in.

2. What tool is out there that would be best suited to forceful pulling?

3. Aside from shooting a liberal amount of PB Blaster down the tub and all along the edges where there are gaps between the outside diameter of the WDT and the inside diameter of the block, what can be done to dislodge this bad boy (without leaving the other half of the WDT inside the block as I refuse to crack the case and open Pandora’s Box even further.)?

4. Why does everything have to be so hard!?!?!?! LOL! (No answer needed for that one!)

Thanks in advance for the assist. You all have been great!

Cory

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Guest perrymedik

It's out!! I used a Slide Hammer with a T-Handle Spring Hook taped to the Square hook (too keep it from falling out after each strike). It was in there pretty good!

Once I got it out I could see that it was well on it's way to corroding, but it came out in one piece thankfully!! Now on to flushing the system out and waiting for the new WDT to arrive.

I count this as a minor victory! tongue.png

Thanks again Keiser31!!!

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Guest perrymedik

Ok, another WDT question.

I got the new one in today and went to install it and only get about half way in before it comes to a screeching halt!! I took a flashlight and took a look into the back and I don't see any obstructions. The void does have some hardened sediment on the walls, but not enough that I would think it should halt progress.

Before I go and start hammering away to drive this all the way in, is there anything I need to know or do to make this successful?

Before hammering away at anything, try to measure the depth of the hole with a wire hanger or rod. There must be some cruddy buildup if it only goes in 1/2 way. Look at the old tube to view the worst area of decay and look into the block to see if that same area is free of crud.

Guest perrymedik

How tight or loose of a fit should it be, ideally?

I believe they are supposed to fit snugly so as not to rattle, but I would proceed with caution. I have not put one in, in quite a while, so someone else should probably direct you further.

Guest perrymedik

I think I'll run a wooden dowel downs the sides and bottom and vacuum it out then give it another shot with some lube or something like that.

Thanks!

Cory<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>