1913 Buick Model 25 Rod Bearing

Guest dnoz

I have a 1913 Buick, Model 25. Heard an engine knock and appeared to be in the crank case. Removed pan and one of the connecting rod bearings had disintegrated. I need some help.

Can anyone provide me for this engine: the spec (dia) of the connecting rod journal; the torque spec for connecting rod caps; and a source for the bearings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Noznesky

dnoznesky@aol.com

1913 Buick Model 25

Hobe Sound, FL

There are guys who can handle this. I do it here in California, there are others much closer to you. We did a set for a 1914 Buick truck a few years back. You should check the rest of the rods for impending failure. All your Babbitt guy needs is the rods and an accurate measurement of the journal diameter and width. Expect to pay about $300 for the first one and $150 each after that. Email or call me if you want to know more.

Roger Barrett, BCA #99.

530 863 seven five seven nine

There are guys who can handle this. I do it here in California, there are others much closer to you. We did a set for a 1914 Buick truck a few years back. You should check the rest of the rods for impending failure. All your Babbitt guy needs is the rods and an accurate measurement of the journal diameter and width. Expect to pay about $300 for the first one and $150 each after that. Email or call me if you want to know more.

Roger Barrett, BCA #99.

530 863 seven five seven nine

Roger - Thank you very much for your response. I'm in Florida, not that it matters anymore. Who would you suggest I contact. I plan on changing out all four rod bearings. We want the spec so we can see if there has been any change and of course the bearings. Thanks again.

David

David,

Originally the shaft would have been a nice even number like 1.75", 2" 2.125", or the like. So for instance if the journal measures 1.998", you may assume the standard was 2" and it has worn a bit. If it is 1.980", it has been ground .020" undersized. The size doesn't really matter because the machinist can bore the bearings to any size you need. What is more important is that the journal be reasonably round. These bearings are quite forgiving of less than perfect conditions but more than .001-.002" out of round will reduce the life expectancy of the bearing.

Ron's machine shop in Shandon Ohio does nice work and may be cheaper than what I quoted. We can also handle it here at Rumble Seat Garage. There are also several vendors who advertise in Hemmings Motor News. Herm Kohnke, not sure of the spelling on that one, does some of the finest work I have seen. You have options.

regards, Roger and Erik