What's the story?

dan at larescorp

For over 30 years, I worked for a law enforcement agency that referred to officers by first two initials and last name. I just dropped the periods and spaces from M.C.Hinson and came up with MCHinson.

People might think that Bhigdog is a self expression of importance. Not so. I used to have a 2000 Dodge 4 X 4 pick up truck. Bought it brand new. One cold winter day I was up to NY State picking up a few hundred feet of curly maple from a local. It was down hill behind his house in about 10" of powder snow. I backed on down. As we loaded the wood the guy mentioned that most locals drove Chevys or Fords. Said around there they mostly just dropped the "D" from Dodge and called them all just plain "Dogs". After we were loaded he kind of stood back and waited to see how I would do climbing up out of his yard through the snow. I never spun a wheel and drove right on out. When I got to the top he just muttered more to himself "humpf, that Big Dog climbed right on out". That struck me so funny I went right home and tried to buy Bigdog plates. There are about a half dozen variations of the spelling and Bhigdog was the only one left.

So there it is...............Bob

Uh.....well, it's the hospital in Harriman, Tennessee's fault. Mom wanted my name to be Johnny, and they told her that was not a "proper" name. Never happen in today's world, would it ? On another site, I'm J.Byrd, that was the way the FAA required us to sign certain documents, first initial, last name.

Guest Skyking

Just prior to joining this forum I bought an all original 1966 Skylark convertible off the original owner. A car I do regreat selling, and a car I felt like a King driving. The rest is self explanatory.

People might think that Bhigdog is a self expression of importance. Not so. I used to have a 2000 Dodge 4 X 4 pick up truck. Bought it brand new. One cold winter day I was up to NY State picking up a few hundred feet of curly maple from a local. It was down hill behind his house in about 10" of powder snow. I backed on down. As we loaded the wood the guy mentioned that most locals drove Chevys or Fords. Said around there they mostly just dropped the "D" from Dodge and called them all just plain "Dogs". After we were loaded he kind of stood back and waited to see how I would do climbing up out of his yard through the snow. I never spun a wheel and drove right on out. When I got to the top he just muttered more to himself "humpf, that Big Dog climbed right on out". That struck me so funny I went right home and tried to buy Bigdog plates. There are about a half dozen variations of the spelling and Bhigdog was the only one left.

So there it is...............Bob

Dodge have always been king of the 4 wheel territory..

I have nothing left to add to this thread... (where's the whistle emoticon ? )

Dodge have always been king of the 4 wheel territory..

I have nothing left to add to this thread... (where's the whistle emoticon ? )

Got rid of the Big dog. Traded it in on a 2004 Dodge Cummins diesel and kept the plates. So the new Bhigdog lives on. Best truck I ever owned...............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

When I was in high school, I picked up the nick-name "Bulldog".

I've had people that have known for some time ask "Bulldog, what is your real name?"

I live in Birmingham, Alabama. The local shorthand for Birmingham is Bham.

So, bhambulldog is my username on

three Buick forums,

two Ford forums

a Dodge forum

and Photobucket

No guessing here - just who I am....

We have a generally decent bunch here.

I just never cared for the idea of some folks trying to "snipe" from behind a phony identity like they used to do on the CB radio in the 1970s.

You know who I am and what I stand for -- and that I'm pleased to be able to serve AACA, our members, and the old-car hobby in general.

That which is distasteful to you, do not do to another......

Back in the pre computer days I wrote occasional letters to Old Cars and other hobby mags, sometimes local papers. You had to give your name, address and phone # if you wanted to get published. As Email became widespread some rags were pleading with the people to at least tell their location. I still get frustrated when people ask for assistance with things and they expect you to guess where they are. When I started here I thought of a few catchy names but went with the name and state in case someone needs a Jersey boy for a favor. If I changed now I'd lose all my credits.

On the other hand, there's too many Daves here.

Well, mine is fairly self explanatory, before I got back into the engineering profession I did a two year stint at a restoration shop, trimming cars..an older version of what upholstery work is called.. so to trim a car seemed liked a good name...as is true of a lot of things, thought I was the cleverest person out there and no one had ever thought of that name....Mr. Google cured me of that ego trip!

The fellow at the restoration shop under whom I apprenticed was a master trimmer, and of German descent. He was laid back in general, but had no patience with people. One day a tour was coming through the shop, and a woman stuck her head in our room and asked loudly "Is this where the seamstresses work"? He was out of his chair in an instant, abandoning the sewing machine to fuss at her that "We're not SEAMSTRESSES, we're TRIMMERS"!!

The spell check wouldn't let me use ****** so I tried ******** and the ******** thing wouldn't take that either. Then the next three tries were already in use. Well, ***** ******* ******** the **** ****** thing. Out of desperation I typed in this name an to my surprise *** ***** *******.

And that's the honest truth.

Bernie

Mine is pretty straightforward as well, my name shortened along with the home state - and while I mostly agree with Marty's preference for actual names vs. "cute online names" I also think the Internet shennanigans in general can drive one to seek a little more privacy. I no longer display my full name here, for that reason, although I am happy to connect via PM and have done so many times here to help and be helped by a generally great crowd.

I have a couple other "handles" that are more interesting. While not real active on H.A.M.B. (not as much time for all the forums out there), but go by "FastBrass" there in hopes the Speedster lives up to that name upon completion. Also, Old World Shepherds on a couple other sites - a reference to our (down to one, unfortunately) "Old World" German Shepherd Dogs - a passion Mrs. Mack and I both share. They tend to be straight backed, larger and long haired with rich color in their coats. Truly "Full Classics" in the world of dogs! :D

20 years ago in the company I was working for your username was assigned as first letter of first name and first 7 letters of last. But since I worked with my brother and we both had the same first letter they used first two letters of first name and then the first 6 of the last name.