What's the story?

dan at larescorp

George Selden of patent fame lived and built his automobile in Rochester, N.Y.. Being quite historically minded I spent 25 years searching the U.S. for a Selden to restore, as I live close to Rochester and knew his son Henry, whom had an unrestored touring car which he would not sell, " It is all I have left of my fathers company!" he told me but, he didn't mention the money left. I finally found a 1911 basket case Varsity Roadster in 1990, seven years later it was ready to show. I have hand restored several cars but the Selden was the most famous of my projects. --Bob

my name comes from my fishing days in Moriches bay, long island ,ny.i took a lot of people out on the boat and caught them many fish and we dug many clams and raked up many mussels.also, I was a spearfisherman and that amazed many people. it was always a great day on the boat with capt. den. I eventually got a captains license too. we also did a lot of swimming and snorkeling and going to great gun beach if you are familiar with it. capt den

Guest AlCapone

I own a car that was owned by Al Capone and it was used in the Untouchables movie and television series.

Pretty simple, eh !

Wayne

My name... but when I joined my first internet forum (not this one) I thought it was some sort of rule that you had to use a fake name. I chose "99Panhard" for the 1899 Panhard et Levassor I once owned. It was the roughest car I've ever seen and the only one I really regret parting with as I doubt I'll ever get a chance as something that early again. The first time I used it, I had someone chide me saying I'd spelled "Panhead" incorrectly!

Nothing fancy - my first car which I got when I was 18 in 1966 was and still is a 1936 Dodge model D2 RS Coupe. My thinking was that this would identify my main focus. Not shy about putting my name out in this forum though. Great folks and I've been treated well and respectfully. Can't ask for more than that.

Jim Hazlewood

Great stories all around !

Most of us have nothing to hide, and sincerely hope most would respect another's privacy.

That which is distasteful to you, do not do to another.....

Back in the mid 1980s I was restoring an 1870s colonial house and the guys I flew with, during my 32 years in the USAF/ANG, gave me the nick name of Vila after Bob Vila from the original This Old House TV show.

My first name also happens to be Bob, but they always call me Vila.

The license plate on my daily driver BMW Z3 is also Vila, and my grand children even call me Papa Vila.

My wife also gave me and herself the nicknames Jake and Ginger which is part of my email and personal website addresses, but I can't get into that in a car forum.

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

I can never remember anything, and can never find my list of user names and passwords for various companies, etc. Therefore, I chose the easiest thing to remember for this site. I have kept one car, a 65' Jetstar 1. From that point, all I have to remember is if my password is 1234, or abcd, lol!

I don't use my real name, not to hide, but because my wife worked in the fraud division of the financial institution. It would scare the pants off you if you knew the information one could get with a name, city, and state. I always try to be courteous to others, whether in person, or online, anyway.

Jim

K8096 is the serial number of my 1937 Lincoln K. Bought the car when I was 24. Now I'm 40. Gosh, where does the time go? I still plan to restore it, but that may not happen until my kids are out of the house. In the meantime I keep accumulating parts & fixing small items on it.

post-32519-143142800954_thumb.jpg

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Guest GRANNYS70SKYLARK

In 2001 I purchased my '70 Skylark from the original owner, an 83 year old Grandma. Guess I should change it to Grandpa's '70 Skylark since I have 7 grandchildren of my own now.

Well, it turns out my folks were expecting a daughter in 1970, and her name was supposed to be Alison. Instead, I showed up uninvited and they had to think fast, so Matthew it was. They kind of rolled with it, as my first brother (who died in infancy) was Mark and then my other brother, Luke, was born two years later. They gave up before John showed up, I guess. Biblical names from the least religious family you'll ever meet.

I've always used my real name on forums rather than a screen name. It always felt dishonest to not use my own name somehow and with my propensity to type before I think, it at least reminds me to behave myself as much as possible. Always remember: the Internet never forgets...

When I first got on the internet in the late 90's it was kicking and screaming all the way. I thought it was a cute toy that I wouldn't use much. One of my first forays was into a free gambling site where everyone used niknames. I am a small farmer, so tongue in cheek, the wheat baron was born. Over time I've come to use many sites like this one for everything from metal working to old cars, guns and combine repairs. Rather than have multiple names, I've just kept using the same old nik out of habit. I've had a couple instances where people mistaking it for the white baron have accused me of being white supremist and all sorts of inaccurate things, so if I was going to do it again I'd probably just have used my real name. Les

Way back when I joined I was collecting parts to build a twin to the 1937 Harley-Davidson 45ci motorcycle mt Dad bought new. I did collect all the bits to have a correct roller in primer. I joined a list of collector cars that went down the road to cover the kids college bills. Bob

During my mother's pregnancy, the doctors told my parents I would probably not be born alive, and if I were, I would not live long.

So, they did not pick a name for me. Instead, they just called me "the baby." Back in those days, you could not leave the hospital without a name for the birth certficate. So, when I fooled them all, they picked a name for "the baby" out of the 1954 Norfolk, Va. telephone book at the hospital check out desk.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
During my mother's pregnancy, the doctors told my parents I would probablyi not be born alive, and if I were, I would not live long.

So, they did not pick a name for me. Instead, they just called me "the baby." Back in those days, you could not leave the hospital without a name for the birth certficate. So, when I fooled them all, they picked a name for "the baby" out of the 1954 Norfolk, Va. telephone book at the hospital check out desk.

I think if an award would go out for any of these names, you would be the winner!

Thank you Dan for a very interesting thread. Lots of great stories and humor too!

Mine is derived from enjoying the woodworking past-time: fiddling with wood. (my Dad always accused us of fiddling with stuff)

Certainly nothing deceptive. I'm above board all the way as I use my alternate email ( GotScruples@gmail.com ) aplenty.

I've been using the good old Woodfiddler@hotmail.com since 1996. It seemed appropriate here. More info in my profile, if interested.

Chuck (Pierce) in Kansas

Guest my3buicks

Mine is pretty obvious. Over the past 35 years i usually have or have had 3 Buicks in the stable. I have used it on the internet since 1987.

smithbrother, well in HS I was in the same class as my brother, SMITH BROTHERS cough drops were popular. So, since we were always together, the name developed. He was TRADE, I was MARK.

He fell down a flight of 19 steps in 2008 and passed away. Well, he lived for approx. a month. The day before he died in Dallas I phoned him, he said, "DALE YOU HAVE BEEN A GOOD BROTHER, I LOVE YOU".

The next day while driving home from my wife's mother's funeral I received a cell call saying he had died, so I will always keep the handle 'smithbrother'.

Dale in. Indy