Before I tear it all apart or tear it up. . . .

Guest perrymedik

Guest perrymedik

I’ve removed the 10 bolts holding the Oil Pan of my ’49 Plymouth Special Deluxe, but it seems to be hanging up around the rear gasket next to what I believe is the Rear Main Bearing Oil Seal.

Should the pan just come out, or do I need to loosen the Rear Main Bearing Oil Seal as well? I don’t want to force anything that should be. I cracked my Exhaust Manifold doing that years ago.

Thanks!

Cory

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Guest perrymedik

Problem solved! It would seem that whoever put the Rear Main Bearing Seal cover on years and years ago (according to the thick grim build up) bolted up the passenger side of it so that it covered the rear lip of the oil pan. Loosening the Bearing Seal cover on that side and sliding it down a bit allowed the oil pan to pop right out.

Let me tell you how nasty that Oil Strainer looks!! Now to remove the Oil Strainer and take it and the Oil Pan for a thorough cleaning!! Might just plop them both in the parts washer for a while to get things cleaned out!!

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>