1963 Thunderbird eating ignition condesers

critterpainter

Like the title says, the car has had three ignition condensers fail this summer. The car starts running rough and then konks out. Slap a new condenser in the distributor and it fires right up and is good for a few more weeks. Running voltage to the coil is 6 volts, 12 volts with key on and the engine off and 12 when cranking. What is causing this? or do I have the magical ability to only get poor quality condensers? I am buying the parts at NAPA, not at Ed's cut-rate poor quality used parts store.

Bill

Just on general principles, not being familiar with Thunderbirds, I'd suspect a bad ground, either at the condenser mounting itself or if it's mounted to the moveable distributor plate, a missing or bad ground strap from the moveable plate to the distributor frame. Are the points also burning - I'd guess so.

With your key in the run position and engine is off the ballast resistor is in circuit so I would think you would only have about 6 volts to the coil. You do have a ballast resistor, yes? The only time the coil sees 12 volts is when the key is in the start position.

The coil supply voltage was tested with engine running and showed about 6v. key on engine off it goes to 12v . No "ballast resistor" as Ford uses resistor wire to supply the coil and a second lead from starter solenoid to supply 12v during cranking.

This car has eaten 3-4 condensers this summer but I understand quality is a big issue.

Just asking...Could by chance, someone have replaced the resistance wire with a non-resistance wire? I've seen it before. I understand the comments about quality control, but could your luck be that bad? If your points are not burning and not pitting on either side then the capacitance value is in the correct ballpark. Being an electrolytic capacitor the only other thing, be on the quality control thing, is over voltage.

Beltfed:

The wire has the correct color code and the right "feel" to it. (I grew up with 1960's Fords) Also a resister (to my knowledge) does not lower the voltage unless there is a current flow through the resistor.

I am about to cut the condenser open and look for arcing on it.

Thank you for your ideas I will figure this out someday.....

Like the title says, the car has had three ignition condensers fail this summer. The car starts running rough and then konks out. Slap a new condenser in the distributor and it fires right up and is good for a few more weeks. Running voltage to the coil is 6 volts, 12 volts with key on and the engine off and 12 when cranking. What is causing this? or do I have the magical ability to only get poor quality condensers? I am buying the parts at NAPA, not at Ed's cut-rate poor quality used parts store.

Bill[/i had a red flag pop up when I red that the running voltage is only 6 volts. That running voltage should be approximately 9.6 volts (check correct spec in your shop manual). I suspect that your new condensers were running on the "hairy edge" when new and fell off after a few miles. Try a little higher running voltage.

I got a reply back from the mechanic. He said if the condenser is shorting out and killing engine, he would agree with several others that you are getting bad parts. On the other hand, if it is opening youwill be getting burning of the points, which you stated you are not.

He suggested trying to find a NOS Motorcraft condenser and try that. He also said it doesn't have to be necessarily dedicated to your specific engine.

One of my cars has same points and condenser set I put in back in 1973. Why would I ever want to convert it to something else? If you have good parts- GOOD GROUNDS and proper voltage, you are good to go. Yes, I USED to drive the car nearly every day, but now only special events. POINT IS: everything needs to be in proper condition and NOT inferior parts.