91 reatta E026 error HELPPP!!!

Guest Helpme!

Guest Helpme!

i am new to this forum, i have a 91 reatta and its giving me a E026 error.

i am having hesititation when accelerating in drive,

but when i go in reverse, its ten times faster! the other thing is it is overheating in heavy traffic,

it goes up almost to the red then the fans kick on. ive already replaced the ecm, bcm, ignition cylender,

cleaned maf, new air filter, new engine temp sensor, new 02 sensor, and im also getting a gasoline smell

coming from the vents. intermitently. ive checked my fuel injectors, all of them are running fine, im not

leaking gas anywhere, i just cant find what the problem is, and i am at a loss for words. someone said the catalytic could be failing,

but how do i check if thats the problem?

oh, and my engine diagnostic is not working either, when i press temp and off, it flashes once, then nothing happens. once in a while it works.:D

anyones help would be greatly appreciated

Guest Mc_Reatta

Hopefully you got the correct ECM and BCM and swapped in the correct PROMs.

E026 id the quad driver fault which can be 4 things. One of them is the fuel vapor canister purge valve, so that might be the problem and account for the fuel odor. Another one is the EGR valve, and if that's stuck it could account for the hesitation your experiencing and overheating.

You really could use diagnostics to help sort this out, so I'd try to get that working first. You might try cleaning the switch panel on the HVAC control module to see if that aids getting into diagnostics more consistently.

http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/95-accessories/heat-a-ac-system/115-how-to-clean-1990-climate-control-panel

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Guest Helpme!

where is the egr valve located? i have had serious debates with people whether or not it has one, apparently it was needed to pass the emissions tests, however, i have looked high and low, and neither myself or anyone else can find it. egr valve is a suspect because of carbon buildup, can you show me exactly where in a 91 it is located?

Guest Helpme!

How exactly does it work without an egr valve, and if it doesn't have one then why are all the parts stores saying it does, and several people?im so confused, can someone please show me a. Video on the diagnostic tests? Its all Chinese to me because I don't understand how. Im sorry I have never experienced a problem like this before and its really throwing me off

How exactly does it work without an egr valve, and if it doesn't have one then why are all the parts stores saying it does, and several people?im so confused, can someone please show me a. Video on the diagnostic tests? Its all Chinese to me because I don't understand how. Im sorry I have never experienced a problem like this before and its really throwing me off
Most people in auto parts stores only know what is in their computers. I don't know if a '91 has a EGR valve or not but I'm betting DShip is correct. He owns a '91 and has been around here for a long time. I do know that the '91 engine is a lot different from the '88-90 models. The code 26 is probably the hardest code to troubleshoot. If doing the tests yourself is all Chinese to you then you will need to find a good mechanic.

The LN3 3800 engine was redesigned/replaced in 1991 with an L27 3800. This redesign eliminated the big "door knob" looking EGR valve located in the back right-hand corner of the pre-91 3800 engines.

Oh, and thank you Ronnie for the kind words.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

Guest Helpme!

I actually just joined this site,and this is a new car for me,it has been a project car for me and im trying to get it fixed and then im going to modify it to customize it to my liking. The computer code reader is not working right now. It flashes once and nothing happens