1937 Buick Series 40, with Van Den Plas Coachwork

38Buick 80C

I received an email from an individual in Spain requesting ANY information on his 1937 Buick Series 40, with Van Den Plas Coachwork (pictured below). The cowl tag (not pictured) says "General Motors Continental S.A. Antwerp" instead of the usual Buick Motor Division tag.

So can anybody shed some more info for the owner?

So far the BHA has nothing in the archives nor could I easily find anything in the old 37-38 Buick Club magazines, but the car's lines look very familiar to me. Thanks.

post-53096-143142793131_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 38Buick 80C
picture issues (see edit history)

There's a thread on the Riviera Owners forum about cars with Antwerp on the data (cowl) plate. Apparently for export cars to Europe, GM would break cars down, ship them to Europe, and they were reassembled in Antwerp. That's as far as that discussion got.

Does it have a body data plate?

Is it Van Den Plas or Vanden Plas ?

http://www.coachbuild.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=50&g2_itemId=32828

Is similar (but not the same) as this http://www.coachbuild.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=50&g2_itemId=29797

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Does it have a body data plate?

Is it Van Den Plas or Vanden Plas ?

Is does have a body tag with GM continental S.A. Antwerp on it. along with make model and serial numbers. I didn't post a picture since it is not my car.

As far as Van Den Plas vs. Vanden Plas, I just posted what the owner sent me looking for info. I have sent him the thread to follow.

Guest Acateam

Hello, i am the owner, the Car have two identification Van Den Plas Bruxelles plates.

I see in internet pictures about 1939 Buick VDP and it is very very similar body.

I think that know the spanish history.... Is very special, but for the moment i cant speak about it.

But i dont know how this car arrive to Spain in 40th... Those are the first postwar years for us (spain civil war 1936-1939).

If any have information, i would be very grateful.

Edited by Acateam (see edit history)

That is nicely done. Many times the European body builders cut the beltline a little lower than appeals to me and add external irons. Integrating the trunk and spare into the short overhang was well done. I think the US Lincoln Continentals had about 6 inches more overhang to work with. This car looks really good.

As to the name, Van den Plas in Belgium; Vanden Plas in Britain. The Brits have had a thing about Anglicizing names names for a while now. Ask an Irishman.

Bernie

Hello, i am the owner, the Car have two identification Van Den Plas Bruxelles plates.

I see in internet pictures about 1939 Buick VDP and it is very very similar body.

I think that know the spanish history.... Is very special, but for the moment i cant speak about it.

But i dont know how this car arrive to Spain in 40th... Those are the first postwar years for us (spain civil war 1936-1939).

If any have information, i would be very grateful.

Bienvenido a la forum de AACA y BCA !!

un automóvil hermoso !!

Guest Acateam

I am from spain... So far from Hersey.

Im looking anyplace in Bruxelles that have the information, but i dont know where.

In Madrid i visit one library with only auto motive books, and nothing.

Guest buickkuhn

If you take a piece of plain white paper place it against the body tag and lightly rub with a pencil across it . the light indent of the #'s should be more clear . Good luck with your research .

If you take a piece of plain white paper place it against the body tag and lightly rub with a pencil across it . the light indent of the #'s should be more clear . Good luck with your research .

he blurred the numbers on purpose, they are all there, but excellent tip for others.

Acateam,

These are two Van den Plas coachbuilt 1936 American cars, at the Parc du Cinquantenaire in Bruxelles. Also known as Jubelpark, it was the location of the Bruxelles Auto Salons.

post-43799-143142804509_thumb.jpg

The Graham photo on the left is for sale on ebay U.S. It has a similar rear end design as the '37 Buick, while the '36 Cadillac does not have the "bustle" trunk. The VDP builder plates are clearly visible in both photos

The "Continental" style of the trunk on both the Graham, but more so on the '37 Buick, is the style that influenced Edsel Ford to create his Lincoln Continental in 1939. Both images below are from Floyd Clymer's 1963 book, "The Lincoln Continental".

post-43799-143142804511_thumb.jpg

post-43799-143142804515_thumb.jpg

I would look for a 1937 or early-1938 car magazine (like "MoToR", but French or Belgian) that covered the Bruxelles and/or Paris Salons of that year, or for a Van den Plas archive in Bruxelles or Antwerp.

TG

post-43799-143142804503_thumb.jpg

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest Acateam

Very interesting information, nice.

I try to found the VDP archive in Belgium, but by the moment i dont know were could be.

I found a VDP archive in UK, but i think is only for the UK part... But y try contact and ask about my car.

The Salons had programs or guides with vendors and what they were showing, with many photographs. There would be newspaper articles or inserts, too (this from the 1927 Salon Bruxelles). There is a book on ebay.be by Jean-Paul Delsaux, "100 ans de salons automobiles à bruxelles", 1902-2002, published by FEBIAC in 2002. FEBIAC is the Fédération Belge De L'Automobile Et Du Cycle that still organizes the European Motor Show Bruxelles. (Click on the FEBIAC link to read their Histoire, and on the Salon link for the 2015 event).

They should be able to put you in touch with Jean-Paul Delsaux, or some historian in their organization or elsewhere who knows where the good stuff is. I imagine they may be interested in the Buick's history, as well, since it is Belgian-made, when you are able to share that history.

This may lead nowhere, but let us know how it turns out. Because of its Van Den Plas coachwork, the Buick would be recognized as a True Classic by the Classic Car Club of America, not that it matters in Spain.

It's a very important Buick. :)

Happy hunting!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest Acateam

Thanks a lot for the Info, i contact with people in Belgium, and in the next week they try to give me information. But in europe is not easy to found this information, Belgium was in war 1939-1945.... And many documentarion was lost.

I understand that is a important car. And i am not sure what will do with the car; i explain you, i dont know if will be better do a complete restauration or only clean. The car was complete restore in 60s, and looks a nice Patina exterior; inside is Perfect, because the last owner use never in 35 years, only run the engine 3-4 times each year.

The engine run Perfect, we rebuilt the fuel pumb and the brake circuit, cylinder master... Wheels cylinder... Etc. Today we take out the fuel tanks to clean it and pipes.

Edited by Acateam (see edit history)

I would very carefully just clean the exterior & interior and check the mechanicals, as you are doing

Too many cars are over restored to what people think they should be, but never were

Consider spending some time with paint cleaner. This is a rubbing compound that will remove much of the outer layer of oxidized paint. For a few Euros and some elbow grease, you can really brightn up the appearance of a car with old paint. If the car doesn't need restoration, I would just clean it up. Good luck. You have a great car.

Guest Acateam

I did it today, clean paint and clean crome, and i have a very good results, is not like new, but i think in fact is better. By the moment enough.

The next week people from Prewarcar, put in his page a Issue about the car and Van Den Plas, i´m sure that anybody from Belgium reply.

• 3 months later...
Two months later....:

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/previous-features/what-is-it-quiz-387-025321.html

I hope with this quiz perhaps I found any additional information.

Having won the prewar.com quiz 3 times I am no longer eligible to enter

They also host www.prewarbuick.com

• 2 weeks later...