Sourcing Accumulators

Digger914

Does anyone have an old accumulator laying around? May have found a very well priced compatible replacement, but need to know for certain nipple length, thread size and pitch. Put a new accumulator in last spring, tossed the old one and really don't want to take my brakes apart to measure.

Guest BobFitz

I have one coming in the mail and will send you the specs when I get it. I wanted it to machine an adapter for other nipples.

BTW I think Mitsubishi has one that may work.

I have one coming in the mail and will send you the specs when I get it. I wanted it to machine an adapter for other nipples.

The Montero ball would be a great option, it was used on models up to 06, should be available for years to come and the price is good. Couldn't get manufacturer name out of Mitsu parts so I can't read manufacture specs on line and I have to go to parts counter to read the code before I can check the specs, hoping it's a direct fit. Best price would be the Land Rover ball with the wrenching nut on the bottom not the top as that one also sells with an old BMW number that can be bought on line for less than the Mitsu ball. Again I have to go to the parts counter and look to see if it will be a direct fit, that one has the right volume and nitrogen charge, but may need a fitting adapter.

Guest Butch91

I have been looking into this situation as well. i do not know the thread length on the original accumulator, but i do know it is a

14 x 1.5 in millimeters for the thread size. i just took my old one into NAPA last week and inquired about a replacement, and while there i measured the threads at NAPA.

let's hope we can eventually find a suitable replacement.

I have been looking into this situation as well. i do not know the thread length on the original accumulator, but i do know it is a

14 x 1.5 in millimeters for the thread size. i just took my old one into NAPA last week and inquired about a replacement, and while there i measured the threads at NAPA.

let's hope we can eventually find a suitable replacement.

Thanks Butch,

14mm x 1.5 is the thread, length to seat and type of seat are all things that can be dealt with if necessary. With a couple thousand pounds of pressure the seal is very important. Fluid power is big business and accumulators are used on everything from air planes to Zambonies and thanks to the research of others, I have a dozen part numbers for 5 & 6 hundred dollar parts that were direct fit compatible with the Delco part # that could be bought on line for less than $150. I have a Honda part number for a ball that looks like a big pickle and it could be used if we removed the stand off, not the best replacement option. Near as I can tell there are a dozen ball shaped accumulators that could be used in a pinch, doesn't mean they're right, but it also doesn't mean they're wrong. A ball with the same nitrogen ratio and a slightly bigger fluid capacity would give us more stops without running the pump and we wouldn't know the difference. A little bit bigger capacity and we would have to re draw the full mark on the reservoir, a little smaller and we get one or two less stops. Any significant increase in the nitrogen ratio or decrease in fluid capacity, will adversely affect the useful life of this part for our purpose and saving a buck today won't be a savings tomorrow, but if you really need one today it will get the job done for now.

Guest BobFitz
Does anyone have an old accumulator laying around? May have found a very well priced compatible replacement, but need to know for certain nipple length, thread size and pitch. Put a new accumulator in last spring, tossed the old one and really don't want to take my brakes apart to measure.

The measurements are: .542 in.(14mm?) OD on thread, 1.5 mm pitch and .430 in. nipple length including O-ring recess. Sorry for the inch but digital caliper had a dead battery.

Thanks for getting back to me with length.

Finally got a look at the Mitsubishi accumulator and specs. The part is not a direct fit and will need plumbing nipple to adapt, the specs are in Japanese and I had to photo copy them for my brother to read for me. It will do the job and then some, also swung by the Jaguar Rover lot with a stop at Mercedes and BMW dealers. Mercedes had in stock, pricey and not able to cross part numbert, BMW didn't have in stock and waiting to get specs and size. Jaguar didn't have a Rover accumulator in stock when I stopped in but it is a 14mm 1.5 pitch 1.1cm nipple length and specs exceed our needs. Have high hopes that BMW part will be direct fit and very affordable.

If you haven't got a vacuum bleeder best to bleed you brakes at least twice when you replace, getting all the air out of that ball without is a bit of a "B"