What would it cost?

1929wilbur

Not sure when the last time was you had a show quality paint job done on an antique car but the materials cost alone these days to paint a car using modern paints, sealers and primers is at least $2000-2500. Good quality paint is now in excess of $400/gallon plus another $175 or so for hardener. We recently paid $960 for one gallon of the original color red PPG Base for a '67 Impala. Yea I know, there are lots of cheap paints and primers around but trust me, there is a difference. As the saying goes "the nicer the nice the higher the price". Even at a theoretical shop rate of $50/hr an estimate of $8000 labor to do a complete interior is only allowing 4 weeks work. Could you recondition all the seat cushions, pattern, cut, sew and fit all the interior including headliner, door panels and carpets and install everything in 4 weeks? Check the price of an upholstery kit for a Model A Ford Sedan. Taint cheap.

I'm amazed at the prices you guys are quoting for upholstery work for a car. What kind of hourly rate do these shops get, $200 per hour? Seems way too high to me, when upholstery can cost much more than the paint prep and finish.

Having just finished a total interior project, complete cabin AND trunk floor pans and then some, in my '59 Chevy Bel Air I can tell you one doesn't get much done in a hour.

My upholstery guy installed the headliner, completely redid the front bench seat, installed some of the interior trim panels and we installed one door panel so I could see how it's done to finish it myself.

I learned a few tricks about tucking and such so I got the floor carpet in myself but even THAT took forever with the fitting and trimming....... :eek:

I did a lot of things on this car I never dreamed I would do, didn't have a boat load of cash left to throw at it but spent what had to be spent to get other things done right....... ;)

Even the door panels (part of the interior kit I bought) from THE Chevy experts, Ciadella's, didn't get the front door panel nail spacing right....... :( ......so I had to improvise with some screws.

Interestingly the rear door panels fit fine except for one window crank opening which was a little off too so there is no winning....... :mad:

So yeah, it all adds up fast.

post-93523-143142795534_thumb.jpg

post-93523-143142795538_thumb.jpg

post-93523-143142795542_thumb.jpg

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Don't forget the leather u joint covers and the leaf spring covers......My car was in the restoration shop for about two years and they charged about $50 per man hour. This isn't a cheap hobby! I'm cheap but the hobby isn't! I was given a quote of $7,000 to do my engine. I had them pick it up and take it to a small shop in Piqua, Ohio and had it done for 20% of the first quote and he did a great job.. Shop around and get references..

I suggest that the previous posts (pro's included) have missed the full scope of a full interior restoration.

Full restoration includes all the previous work mentioned + lubricating and repairing all window mechanisims, while the panells are off. Repairing, plating and lubricating the seat track. Replating the interior handles and restoring the dash.

I was given a quote for $15,500+ to do my 1930 Chrysler coupe from a man who worked with a restoration shop. Went down the road and was told $12,500 and he didn't ask what body style it was! A friend who builds custom show trucks sent me to a small shop who had never done an antique car. Did an excellent job for about $4,500. Check around at ask for examples of his work and a customer list for references. I redid a 1953 Chevy years ago and will never do it again.

So then I guess price depends on your ZIP code.

There is an enormous amount of work to redo the interior of a 20s or 30s sedan especially one of the more expensive models. But, most of it can be done by a careful amateur. Could you take off all the door handles and hardware, clean polish and oil them and make sure they work properly? Also the seat frames, adjuster mechanisms, window blinds, foot rail etc etc. This can take days and that is if they are in decent shape, and don't need to have any broken or missing parts made.

As others have pointed out, the upholstery material may only account for $2000 on a $10000 or $15000 job, the balance being labor. And that is for a broadcloth or mohair interior, no leather. Get into leather as for an open car and the price can quickly double or triple.

There are great economic differences between doing it yourself or having a friend do any car work versus a business professional. For instance, if that $700 job had been done by a business and they made a 30% profit (which my accountant giggles and curls here toes over) the business would have to share take out 35% to 50% for taxes. 35% for a proprietorship or 50% for a corporation. At best the guy ends up with about 60 bucks for his work. The same proportions work on the $10,000 job as well. And guess what, the money most people use to pay for jobs like this was already taxed when they got it.

Practice civil disobedience, do it yourself.

Bernie