Should I or Shouldn't I

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

Going to NYC this weekend (staying at a Hilton with parking) and with the weather forecast and the leaves being so beautiful I am strongly considering taking the Reatta. But, that will put about 750 miles on it and turn it over 7K miles and I am also trying to keep it mint to run through the BCA & AACA show circuits next summer. I wouldn't have hesitated taking the white one LOL. What to do, what to do.....post-30591-143142791784_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143142791765_thumb.jpg

Having to make that decision is the one of the reasons I don't own a show quality Reatta. (That along with the investment.) I like to drive my Reatta and on these beautiful fall days I couldn't stand to have it sitting in the garage all the time. Besides that I don't like sitting in lawn chair in a parking lot watching people walk by at a car show. That being said, if I had one as nice as yours I wouldn't want to leave it sitting in a parking lot in NYC. I think you are going to need two Reattas. :)

Guest my3buicks
MHO, What's the point of owning a car you can't drive?

I have actually put 1000 miles on it since buying it toward the end of July(It would have probably been more but had to store it for a few weeks while I moved), I do enjoy it, it's this particular trip I am questioning.

Guest Corvanti
MHO, What's the point of owning a car you can't drive?

Agreed!!!:cool:

consider it a "shakedown" run, even if you're going to trailer it to a long distance meets. (i wouldn't do that either, i'd drive her).:)

you have all winter and spring to detail and fix anything that arises. plus - any Reatta with less than 10K miles will be well respected!

EDIT: all above depends on the weather. if it's snowing/ice/salt etc. i'd certainly pass...

Guest my3buicks

It is to be beautiful, it will be driven to all the national meets, and it has already made a trip home from Columbus Oh and then a trip out and back to Columbus, so the shake down run is complete lol.

I have actually put 1000 miles on it since buying it toward the end of July(It would have probably been more but had to store it for a few weeks while I moved), I do enjoy it, it's this particular trip I am questioning.

Good man! BTW I don't think I gave my congrats yet on finding this beauty. It's a shame that the other burned up, but it looks like you got a nice replacement. I misunderstood the original post until I just re-read it. Being nervous about leaving it in a parking lot is a legitimate concern. Do you have a club style steering wheel lock? It may be enough to scare a lazy thief away. Sadly, if someone wants the car bad enough nothing will stop them from taking it. Depending on where you live the same could be said about it sitting in your driveway.

Drive it! I grew up in NYC and if the weather is nice it is beautiful this time of year. Just realize at a Hilton a parking attendant is going to park your car. Give him a good tip before and get his name and he'll take good care of it. Good luck.

Guest my3buicks

I will probably eventually buy another 88 coupe as my fun car, a late 88 with a sunroof would be ideal. I miss the CRT.

I don't know how easy it is to bypass the Reatta factory security system and computer chip in key.

Guest 89 Maui

Keith -

About 5 years ago my wife and I accepted a free weekend stay at that Hilton that included an upgrade room, $75 towards meals and free parking in their garage ( no parking attendant ). We really enjoyed the weekend and not having to drive and park around NYC was nice. Your Reatta will be in a safe garage.

Woody

89 MAUI

Guest Richard D

In my worthless opinion since you are trying to decide what to drive means that you want to drive it and are looking for backup statements to agree with you. I agree, drive the Reatta

Richard.

Guest my3buicks

She's prepped and ready to hit the road at 6AM tomorrow - if you see a red Reatta convertible heading to or from NYC this weekend, it's more than likely me : )

Guest my3buicks

900 trouble free miles this weekend, performed flawlessly, trip average 28, and it stayed rather clean as well. While the standard seats are comfy, i can't wait until the 16 ways are done and installed for next season.

Guest my3buicks

Yes, this is my 8th trip to NYC in the past few years, weather was fantastic. Saw two shows, Matilda and Kinky Boots. Had the 16 way seats in both my other Reattas, I bought an extremely clean pair of 16 ways and then having them completely redone ground up, so both sides will have although as you know the passenger seat doesn't do as much as the driver seat

Yes, this is my 8th trip to NYC in the past few years, weather was fantastic. Saw two shows, Matilda and Kinky Boots. Had the 16 way seats in both my other Reattas, I bought an extremely clean pair of 16 ways and then having them completely redone ground up, so both sides will have although as you know the passenger seat doesn't do as much as the driver seat

Glad you had a good time. However I'm a little confused (easy for me right now as I've been in Paris for two weeks and the wine is very good and very cheap) about your seats. Soon after I bought my Reatta, almost ten years ago, I purchased a pair of newly upholstered 16-way seats from MR in Mariposa (whom I will never do business with again, but that's another story). BOTH seats are (now) fully functional 16-way with lumbar bladder and ALL the controls.

Guest my3buicks

Only the drivers seat had all the controls, the passenger seat got the style of the 16 way seat but only gained electric recline. It is not an uncommon modification in the Reatta community.

That is correct.

Several years ago when I was out at Gibson's looking at the Rivs I came across gray cloth dual 16 way seats in mint condition. At the time I didn't have the Black however I was wanting a second Reatta and was sure it was going to have a tan interior. Well I got the Black but it had the gray and I sure wished I would have grabbed those seats!

That car was really nice, by the time I got back to it the entire interior was gone. Seats ,dash,carpet,steering column, interior trim.

Never make that mistake again.

Thanks for the explanation. I try not to pass up parts I see in the PnP's that I may need in the future (I've been burned before also). But my wife (not a collector) wonders what all this stuff is I have in the basement.

My wife questions it also but has come to realize that what I have is a "safe" hobby. I don't buy guns or go hunting [which can be expensive] but buy parts that I will/may need in the future. If I get too many parts of one thing or another I sell them to buy other parts. She does question why I have so many ABS sensor leads [i made the mistake of telling her] as I am now sitting on 20 front and 6 rear.

I am a big advocate [as I have stated many times] of having parts on hand for a "surprise" need.

Sorry to steal this thread...

Watch the valet parking jockey's in NYC. I always used a rental car if I had to drive into the city. Not sure about the Hilton but some garages use elevators to jockey you car to another floor. Never had a problem but always held my breath. Be sure and give the car jockey a big tip.