Gas tank for a 53 buick Roadmaster

Guest Geoffrey Garth

Guest Geoffrey Garth

I need to replace my gas tank as it has enough rust that repair seems unreasonable. All of the salvage yards in California are gone as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where i can find a tank or???

Thanks.

Guest my3buicks

Geoffrey, if you haven't done so, you might want to scroll down further in the forum list to the Buick section and advertise that you are looking for one there.

Guest Geoffrey Garth
try this guy, i bought a new one for my 63 bonne. classic car auto parts 218-326-0463

"Thanks for this suggestion.

Geof"

Guest martylum

Geoffrey-I'm restoring a 53 76 model Skylark which has the same tank as your Roadmaster. I could have reused the original tank which is in pretty decent shape for a 60 year old tank but am leery about how gas tank sealers will hold up with future gasoline additives so I decided to order in a reproduction tank from an online vendor.

The tank received mounts with the original tank straps and has the similar overall dimensions with one difference. The filler neck is not attached to the new tank. It couples up with a rubber hose and 2 clamps. the original tank's filler neck needs no support but the new neck does so I made a bracket which attaches at the fill door screws and a strap around the fill neck. I took some time to engineer the shape of the bracket but the results seem to be working and the tank is in operation.

I would send you the old original tank but shipping would probably cost more than a repro. tank and you would need to derust the light inside surface rust and seal the inner surface.

Based on my past experience with rusty tanks I think new is better even if you need to make a fill neck bracket.

Marty Lum

53 76 series Buick

E-mail me if you have any more questions.

Marty@oldercar.com

Guest Geoffrey Garth
Geoffrey-I'm restoring a 53 76 model Skylark which has the same tank as your Roadmaster. I could have reused the original tank which is in pretty decent shape for a 60 year old tank but am leery about how gas tank sealers will hold up with future gasoline additives so I decided to order in a reproduction tank from an online vendor.

The tank received mounts with the original tank straps and has the similar overall dimensions with one difference. The filler neck is not attached to the new tank. It couples up with a rubber hose and 2 clamps. the original tank's filler neck needs no support but the new neck does so I made a bracket which attaches at the fill door screws and a strap around the fill neck. I took some time to engineer the shape of the bracket but the results seem to be working and the tank is in operation.

I would send you the old original tank but shipping would probably cost more than a repro. tank and you would need to derust the light inside surface rust and seal the inner surface.

Based on my past experience with rusty tanks I think new is better even if you need to make a fill neck bracket.

Marty Lum

53 76 series Buick

E-mail me if you have any more questions.

Marty@oldercar.com

"Marty,

Thanks for this information. I'm thinking the same about my current tank. Can you tell me where your purchased the repro tank?

Geof"

Guest martylum

Geoff-I think I went online and searched 1953 Buick gas tank. Must go through my billings from 1-2 years ago if you want a specific name. Several vendors were offering this tank. Bought tank by size.

E-mail me for details on my old tank at---marty@oldercar.com

marty lum

• 2 weeks later...