mouse season

Bhigdog

Guest buickkuhn

Mice ,rats, and other outdoor pest for years I used "fly bait" and coke mixed in a small bowl . This "fly bait" is at the farm stores used in windows of the barns for the flies to get on their legs to kill them . I live out in the country years ago and racoon ,possum , mice ,and shrews would destroy anything I had outside . This works they make it a couple to 20 ft away and die . When mixing the 2 don't put your nose over the bowl it smokes at first mixing like acid .

This has the potential to be a great thread.

When I was a youngster we lived in a rural area. Our house had farms on three sides of the property so field rats(very large field rats!!)were a problem. Our Cocker Spaniel would often present my mother with her latest "prize" when she wanted to be let into the house. There was an old shed at the back of our property which we used for storage purposes. My dad would make up little bags of Warfarin and leave them in (hopefully) strategic places. They kept disappearing so we thought they were being effective - until we moved. When we emptied the shed we found a neat pile of little Warfarin bags in one corner! :eek:

Terry

post-45154-143142791176_thumb.jpgI made this contraption. The can has peanut butter on it. There is a hunk of wood to act as a ramp up to the top. When the mouse tries to get to the bait, the can spins and into the pool he goes. I have caught 6 mice in one day with it. If your a PETA member, leave the water out and transport them to a safe haven. I find water is cheaper than gas

When I was a youngster we lived in a rural area. Our house had farms on three sides of the property so field rats(very large field rats!!)were a problem. Our Cocker Spaniel would often present my mother with her latest "prize" when she wanted to be let into the house. There was an old shed at the back of our property which we used for storage purposes. My dad would make up little bags of Warfarin and leave them in (hopefully) strategic places. They kept disappearing so we thought they were being effective - until we moved. When we emptied the shed we found a neat pile of little Warfarin bags in one corner! :eek:

Terry

I had a similar thing happen except it was rodent bait and in pellets. When spring came around, I found those pellets piled up in the lawn mower.

By the way Warfarin is also used as a medication. It's also know as Coumadin. It thins the blood. http://www.coumadin.com/html/index.htm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]276664[/ATTACH]I made this contraption. The can has peanut butter on it. There is a hunk of wood to act as a ramp up to the top. When the mouse tries to get to the bait, the can spins and into the pool he goes. I have caught 6 mice in one day with it. If your a PETA member, leave the water out and transport them to a safe haven. I find water is cheaper than gas

LIKE!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]276664[/ATTACH]I made this contraption. The can has peanut butter on it. There is a hunk of wood to act as a ramp up to the top. When the mouse tries to get to the bait, the can spins and into the pool he goes. I have caught 6 mice in one day with it. If your a PETA member, leave the water out and transport them to a safe haven. I find water is cheaper than gas

You don't even need the can and rod. Just smear the peanut butter on the inside of the pail a few inches down. You do need the ramp though. Use antifreeze if it's in a cold place and it can freeze or if you don't want to smell dead mice. It embombs them.

I've been using traps at the shop. Unfortunately the bugger ran off with the last one and I still haven't found him. I guess I need to put the trap on a leash next time.

We call ours the Bucket of Death. Like auburnseeker said I just put peanut butter around the bucket a few inches down from the top, just far enough where they are hanging on by one toe nail and then fall in. I don't even use a ramp, the bucket just goes against a beam that is supporting the ceiling in the basement. Mice will always find a way to get into it. I learned this while up in Maine at my brother in laws park ranger cabin. No electricity but plenty of beer and caught 20 in one night.

Those little grey spring type traps work great, but as noted they can run away with them if you catch them by the tail. I screw them to a small piece of wooden shingle so they can't touch the floor to go anywhere. If you use baits you have to constantly keep changing them or they will catch on and stockpile. I keep open boxes of moth balls in the machinery to keep them out of the wiring and lots of traps, both the small plastic ones and the revolving live traps. The year I emptied the hog barn I went through $1k worth of bait. Now that the pigs are gone I focus on catching them at point of entry and eliminating the food sources.

We have one these contraption in our shop too.. I never caught anything... Maybe the used antifreeze on the floor was all we needed...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]276714[/ATTACH]This is my secret weapon. Purr evil!

Our horse barn has grain all over the place and about 7 cats that live there. Even though the cats have free feed chow available you won't find one mouse turd or damage. They check in but never get to check out..........Bob

We ain't so liberated as to men doing turd cleaning and the like. So that stuff just kinda defaults to the women. I like to make it obvious I'm just sitting and doing nothing but clicking the channel changer all evening. That gets my wife all aggressive and ready to take on the rodents.

post-46237-14314279326_thumb.jpg Bernie

Our horse barn has grain all over the place and about 7 cats that live there. Even though the cats have free feed chow available you won't find one mouse turd or damage. They check in but never get to check out..........Bob

Good to hear you are taking the 'natural' method of rodent control, Bob. For the past 15 years, my wife and I have run a licenced boarding cattery which is inspected by the local authority every year. On one of these visits, the inspector picked up on a small hole in a corner. She was worried that a rodent might get in! No kidding!

If anyone doubts that our own cat is has wicked streak - I suggest they enlarge the photo of 'Mr. Tutz' and look into those eyes!. He is absolutely fearless and won't only dispatch mice but large rats, moles, squirrels, stoats, ferrets and weasels. He also keeps down the damn pigeons but woe betide any other cat wandering into his territory! The other day he dragged back back a 10 pound rabbit but he had started eating it so it didn't end up in the pot.

Indoors he pretends to be a little sweetie!

Ray

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Guest bradcrone36

bought an old house trailer in 2005 pretty bad shape and sat empty a long time i knew it had bad mouse problem and some black snakes by the skins in the ceiling so i had one room in end of the trailer i stayed in put alot of decon throughout i worked second shift made my bed every day before i left for work would come home every night and pull covers back and inspect for the snake mice didnt bother me much came home one night pulled covers back nothing there thought i would check under the pillows and found the decon neatly pilled underneath the mice were happier living with the snake than me i guess

Guest sixball

I use a product called Plantskydd. It is mostly blood meal and seems to keep my shop and cars rodent free. We have pack rats here that can get pretty big and move stuff that weighs more than they do.

post-59706-143142797088_thumb.jpg

Be sure to spray any mouse nests with 10:1 bleach water. I caught hantavirus in 99 cleaning a mouse nest out of my truck. Its not something to mess with. I actually shot the mouse and bragged to hubby how I watched his brains scatter on the grass behind it...then I cleaned up the nest and two weeks later I got sick. After a two week coma and the doctors telling my family I had an eight percent chance to survive...I woke up. Don't chance it. Its an airborne virus.