1933 Dodge DO Rumbleseat Coupe ...what to do

Guest 33DOdodge

Guest 33DOdodge

post-100957-143142790813_thumb.jpg

I am in a quandry. a few weeks ago I bought this 1933 Dodge DO Rumbleseat Coupe. As I go throught it to see what I've got it gets more and more impressive. The straight flathead 8 runs fine and the only modification he made was to add an alternator for 12V. The seats are good the instruments work, the wheels are the correct 17" with the correct hubcaps, I have the correct title in my name, etc, etc. It shows wear because the guy was still driving it and originally bought it as a High School graduation present to himself in the early 50's. This is #191 according to the firewall plate of only 212 made.

Now here is the problem. This is clearly a car with a lot of historical and restoration potential and I really don't want to "mess it up" by not doing it RIGHT. What I really want is a 1933 Dodge Coupe Streetrod with a 340 Mopar V8 which can be a daily driver. The more I look at this one, I just can't modify it and don't want to restore it and I don't want to just let it sit there.

Anyone have a trade ? Suggestion ? I have a lot more pictures.

Mulling it over in Texas

Edited by 33DOdodge
Forgot to add picture of it in my garage (see edit history)

Nice piece and thank you for reconsidering what you intended to do with the car. Yes it is very rare and well worth preserving in its original configuration. I have seen plenty of modified 33 Dodge and Plymouth's over the years and think it would only be a matter of time before you find one. Now to find a fellow enthusiast that would also like to keep the car as it is. Best of luck, wish I had something in your interest but at the present do not.

Rob Burchill

hattiesgarage@comcast.net

Is this the car that was in Raton, N.M.? What city are you located in?Thanks. John

[ATTACH=CONFIG]276591[/ATTACH]

I am in a quandry. a few weeks ago I bought this 1933 Dodge DO Rumbleseat Coupe. As I go throught it to see what I've got it gets more and more impressive. The straight flathead 8 runs fine and the only modification he made was to add an alternator for 12V. The seats are good the instruments work, the wheels are the correct 17" with the correct hubcaps, I have the correct title in my name, etc, etc. It shows wear because the guy was still driving it and originally bought it as a High School graduation present to himself in the early 50's. This is #191 according to the firewall plate of only 212 made.

Now here is the problem. This is clearly a car with a lot of historical and restoration potential and I really don't want to "mess it up" by not doing it RIGHT. What I really want is a 1933 Dodge Coupe Streetrod with a 340 Mopar V8 which can be a daily driver. The more I look at this one, I just can't modify it and don't want to restore it and I don't want to just let it sit there.

Anyone have a trade ? Suggestion ? I have a lot more pictures.

Mulling it over in Texas

Oh well Ray....look on the bright side......its an interesting chair !

Yes, Ian. You get my drift. Give it some wide wheels and a v8 drive train, chop the top and go burn rubber. The principle is the same - the practise is unsustainable. I would no more wish to turn a viable Dodge Brothers car into a hot rod than destroy a work of art but we live in the world as it is rather than as we would like it.

Ray

Guest 33DOdodge
Suggestion: drive it for the next year or so and see what you think of it then. '33 and '34 coupes are high on my list of likes.

Very good suggestion. As rare as this one is I don't want to do anything hastily. I did find one other which is an older restoration in better condition, driveable, so-so paint, but needs interior work and roof work, and etc for $35,000.

Guest 33DOdodge
Does a solid 1931 DH6 business coupe project interest you as a trade? It is already in pieces...., but complete.

Thank you, but no thanks. I am really wanting a 1933 Dodge coupe. I had a partially finished 1934 Dodge coupe streetrod and sold it to get this one (shows you that I want the 1933). I also have a 1933 Dodge 4dr completely apart and may streetrod that one.....but when you get past 70, labor intensive work is less interesting. There were quite a few of those 1933 Dodge 4drs made and it's pretty common.

Guest 33DOdodge
I would be happy to trade you my 1930 Model A rumble seat coupe for this little Dodge coupe. Same great looking body style (coupe), but not as rare, so no guilt if you modify it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]276670[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276671[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276672[/ATTACH]

Thank you for the reply but I'm really looking for a 1933 dodge coupe.

Guest 33DOdodge
We have 20+ 34 Dodges from stock-restored-needing restored-hot rod-etc. Would love to have the car in our 34 collection. Couple of the rods we have for sale.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]276680[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276681[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276682[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276683[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276684[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276685[/ATTACH]

Thank you for the response but I am really only looking for a 1933 Dodge coupe streetrod. See my other responses.

Guest 33DOdodge
That is a cool car. I'm sure there is a bunch of guys on this forum that would love that to death.

I hope so. Dual sidemounts with the correct 17" wheel covers make it cool too. One of the greatest things was finding an old quarter and an old dime in-laid into the wooden floorboard on the driver's side. I asked what that was all about and he said "for gas".

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 33DOdodge

Will do. In the meantime, I'll tinker with my 1937 DeSoto 4dr which has far less historical significance and value. Lots of room for friends inside that one.

• 1 month later...
Very good suggestion. As rare as this one is I don't want to do anything hastily. I did find one other which is an older restoration in better condition, driveable, so-so paint, but needs interior work and roof work, and etc for $35,000.

I very much doubt your going get anywhere near that price. I've seen a few in the 20's that havn't sold and the owners gave up on trying to sell them.

Guest 33chrysler
Is that the one that was in Idaho? I looked at that car in person. You said the paint was so so and in my approximation every panel and part needed to be repainted. I didn't want to offend him by offering him low 20's because of the paint issues. He listed it on ebay with a 35k buy it now or best offer and pulled it a few days later because he sold it to a fellow in Australia for 23k.

As far as 33 Dodge Coupe hotrods go you might find someone willing to trade but chances are they will only hotrod the DO. Being someone experienced in both restorations and hotrods I can tell you people with both interests are few and far between. I have seen a 32 Chrysler Victoria and a 33 Chrysler Victoria as hotrods and it really breaks my heart. The problem with hotrods is it dates the car to the time frame it was built. Restorations are timeless. Might I suggest you just sell it outright? So someone can give it the restoration it deserves. And then you can take the capital to find a hotrod. It's kinda weird this is the third DO coupe I have seen for sale in the last two years.