Recommendations for cleaning out the oil system?

Guest perrymedik

Guest perrymedik

I will have everything back together on my 49 P-18 in a few days, but since it has been sitting for over 5 years I want to clean out all the oil sludge that is no doubt lurking inside the motor and everywhere else before I try to crank this thing over for the first time (assuming foolishly that it will run right away, LOL!)

What is the best way to clean this all out. If there is a way to flush the system without dismantling the motor that would be awesome!!

Also, I am considering using synthetic oil when I refill. Any considerations to keep in mind with that?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Cory

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Cory

First thing i would do is remove the sump and clean inside sump and crankcase with kero. Don't use petrol as this will leave surface dry. Atleast kero has some form a lubrication.

Not familier with engine but am guessing its the side valve 6. So i would remove the valve cover and clean around valves etc.

Being that it is not a freshly rebuild engine i wouldn't use synthetic oil as it is not required. A good quality mineral oil is just as good. Synthetic oil is only required if you plan on doing long drain intervals.

Maybe use cheap oil on first start. Get engine hot then re drain. Fill with good oil.

Ian

I won't say whether I would do this or not but I had friends years ago who would put cheap oil(new) into the crankcase but 2 quarts short. They then put two quarts of either diesel fuel or kerosene and then ran the car at a very slow idle after it got warm for 5-10 minutes. They then drained the oil and changed the filter. After about 200 miles they changed the oil again and the filter and away they went. Never heard of a motor failing after this but...

Guest perrymedik

So I was at NAPA today getting a drain plug gasket and the guy there that works on old models recommended cheap oil and a quart of Transmission fluid to clean/scrub it out. He says he's done it with no problems. Anyone ever heard of this? Good idea / bad idea?<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Guest perrymedik

I have the oil pan cleaned out and debunked. Then I ground the rust spots off of the exterior, primered and painted and am getting ready to install today.

Since I am planning on putting cheap oil and transmission fluid in the system to clean out the system, and then change it out and install the new oil strainer, I was thinking of bolting the pan up without the gasket so that I don't have to buy another one when I unbolt it after the first Oil drain and Strainer replacement.

Question: Would bolting it up without the gasket cause any problems? How likely would it be for the motor running to cause oil to get slung outside of the Oil Pan? I assume once I bolt it up with the gasket, when I take it off, I would need a new gasket set. I don't plan on driving it as soon as the motor gets running because the brakes still need to be inspected and the brake lines filled and bleed.

Thanks!

Cory

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

As long as you are careful when removing the pan again I would think that reusing the gasket would NOT be a problem. If you just drain the pan after running the car there should be no need to remove the entire pan again. To play it safe leave the pan plug off for a day or 2 to make sure everything drains out. Also, drain the oil when it is warm and flows better.

Bad idea to bolt up the pan without the gasket. Not only would it make a mess (JACK M) but you may lose too much oil and damage the engine.

Guest perrymedik

Cool! I put it all together. Time will tell!! Hopefully it won't be on there for months before I change it out (aka: can't get them motor started!!)<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>