How to prime the fuel system on a 49 P-18?

Guest perrymedik

Guest perrymedik

So I now have the fuel tank drained and will be reinstalling the Exhaust manifold and carb in a few days. What is the best way to prime the fuel system?

Also, what grade fuel is recommended these days? It is still the stock motor – no modifications.

Thanks!

Cory

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Go to the local Wal-Mart and get a cheap outboard boat motor primer bulb. Place it under the hood near the fuel pump. Pump the gas up by hand until you can see gas squirt in the carburetor when you pump the accelerator. If you don't drive the car much, you can leave the primer in place to aid in starting after setting for a few weeks. You can also install a 6 volt electric fuel pump near the fuel tank out of sight and use when needed if installed through an on off switch. This also works great for vapor locking, if you've ever had that problem. It works great on my 49 Ford coupe. I'm installing one on my 37 Plymouth P4 coupe as a spare.

As far as what fuel to use IF Va. has any Ethanol-free gas stations I would get that to use as the Ethanol gas tends to "eat up" the rubber and gaskets in these older cars. If you cannot get Ethanol-free gas then your stuck using the Ethanol stuff.

As far as "priming" the fuel system you can do what 1937P4 says. Sounds okay.

Guest buickkuhn

If the cars fuel pump worked before , you should just have to crank the engine - nothing wrong with getting oil pressure up before starting . I worked on my dads 1948 plymouth p15 original - it never needed assistance in fuel delivery or a choke . That car was one of better starters once I figured out the last owners hooked up all power wires backwards . The car was positive ground system . Good luck

Guest perrymedik

They pump is newly rebuilt so no telling what it will do. Theoretically it will be great, but you never know. Sometimes a rebuild comes back a dud. I do know that it is a Positive Ground though. Threw me for a loop when I first opened the hood! LOL!

Are there any safe fuel additives to de-ethanol it?<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>