Newbie with 1937 V-12 & serial number questions

John_Mc

Guys, I'm seriously looking at a '37 Zephyr Sedan, acouple of questions please: First, should this engine have aluminum heads? Isthe serial number always on the front left frame rail? Anywhere else on thecar? Best place to correct carpets & seat materials? How about brake parts,where to find them? Lastly, can anyone suggest a reference book on the V-12???I know nothing of these and I want to read about oil needs, maintenance etc.Thank you for all responses.<o:p></o:p>

Guest Jim Zephyr

Hi John,

Engine number will be on front left frame rail,top of transmission housing, and on the frame just below where the gas filler neck goes into tank. Originally had aluminum heads, but most "runners" have had them replaced to more reliable cast iron. There are plenty of good books available. Is this the one in Detroit?

Jim

It's near Detroit in Toledo. I love it, just trying to get my ducks in a row and see if I can afford the thing. The car looks stright, rust free and most importantlyly, unmolested. Thanks for the response, please add any comments you might have.

Hi John,

Engine number will be on front left frame rail,top of transmission housing, and on the frame just below where the gas filler neck goes into tank. Originally had aluminum heads, but most "runners" have had them replaced to more reliable cast iron. There are plenty of good books available. Is this the one in Detroit?

Jim

Thanks by the way for all the information! This car has a CA title which is legal but not correct. SHould I buy this car, I'll want to get it titled using the correct number on the frame.